Orangeburg sewer pipe

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Orangeburg sewer pipe

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

The reponse we recieved on the bulletin board informed us that the best way to deal with the Orangeburg sewer pipe used when our home was built in 1965 was to replace it. This is exactly what we had to do since it had collapsed. We are now facing great financial stress because of it. I am wondering if there is any recourse. I am sure there are going to be many more families facing this same burden. Is there anywhere we can get information about this? Or, are we just SOL?

Participant

Stacie, I believe the answer to your last question is “Yes”. When Orangeburg pipe was used in sewer systems, it was either an
          “approved product,” or the material used in the construction of systems was unregulated. It was a cheap alternative to cast iron pipe, or clay tiles. I have “hands on” experience with the replacement of several septic systems which were constructed utilizing Orangeburg pipe.

The invention of Orangeburg was certainly a disaster for the sewage treatment industry, but even more so to the unfortunate homeowner who unknowingly purchased a home with a sewer system in which it was utilized. (Caveat Emptor).

An even greater disaster is still being promulgated to this day. This is the practice of allowing, and approving on-site sewage treatment systems which defy, and resist easy maintenance, have but one leach field, and are designed to fail. The ISDS Regulations of most regulatory agencies which control on-site system designs are antiquated, and have always been inadequate to produce a standard septic system with long term reliability. Usually these regulations are compiled by committees whose members have limited practical, “in the trench” experience. Most committee members have never actually participated in the construction of a septic system.

Dr. John H. Timothy Winneberger, an expert in the field, has suggested “Winneberger’s Law #1” regarding regulations written by committee.
          “The intelligence of a group as reflected in its activities, and decision-making processes, decreases as the number of members of the group increases; further, the intelligence of a group decreases as the intelligence of the individual member increases.” So much for a committee of experts.

Sorry that I don’t have the answers which you wanted to hear, but that is why I get paid the big bucks. Please resist killing the messenger if you don’t like the message. JWA

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This