LPG installation

Home Forums Public Forums Gas & Gasfitting LPG installation

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

THANKS for the answers but still confused. Have 3 local Plumbers/Gas fitters all telling different stories. How do I get a copy of the regulations that tell me specific measurements etc. Two 45kg LPG cylinders are within 25cm of kitchen window one side and back door the other does this comply? One says shift both the heater and the gas cyclinders, one says no need another says only the cylinders but it really isnt necessary. None will put it in wrtiting even though its an inspection to purchase.

Participant

I will try and write in simple terms what the regulations state for clearances for 45 kg lpg cylinders so here we go : Minimum clearances from to a drain or opening into a building = 150mm above the top of the cylinder, 1 Metre from the side of the cylinder in all directions. this will give you a cone shape widening out at the base of the cylinder in all directions – this is the area that clearances from the cylinder is measured.
          In terms of ignition sources the clearances for a cylinder away from them are : form a central point 500mm above the top centre of the cylinder draw a line that extends 1.5 Metres from the cylinder base in all directions this will give you a cone shape widening out at the base of the cylinders – this is the area that no ignition sources must be within.
          These clearances may be reduced by the use of vapour barriers or firewalls – refer to AS/NZS 1596 for details.
          All of the above specifications are for exchange cylinders – clearances differ greatly for those cylinders that are filled “in situ”.
          Hope all of this helps and I can asure you that I have quoted these specifications directly from the Gas Installation Code that applies to this situation – your Gasfitters siting the installation should be aware of the requirements and at the very least have a copy of the Standards with them in their vehicle – it is their “Bible” after all.

Selgas Services Ltd
          Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

Sorry I should have said from a drain or opening into a building measure 150mm above the top of the cylinder and 1 Metre out from the base of the cylinder – this will give you a cone shape and this is the “restricted area” that must be maintained. Sorry but I just missed stating the 1 Metre was from the base of the cylinder in my earlier entry – otherwise everything else is the Law as we all know it.

Selgas Services Ltd

Participant

See my reply in your other post in relation to the water heater locations.

Selgas Services Ltd

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This