wall type gas bayonet fittings

Home Forums Public Forums Gas & Gasfitting wall type gas bayonet fittings

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

How am I supposed to install these?

By the time you go through skirting board, then the gyprock wall, the elbow with the flare on it is not through the wall enough and then you have to flare your copper and bend it into the wall. I haven’t installed these before so before I go and just work something out, is there a trick to them.

Participant

Ziggy

Nope there is no real easy way but they do make those in wall bayonets with different angle connections on them. We run the pipe to them either down the wall cavity or up through the floor in the wall cavity which gives you a little to come and go with. Very tricky to fit in an existing home but real easy to do when it is being built!!!!. Interesting that you go through the skirting board – something we never do here, we usually put them about 200 up from the floor to clear all them other objects, then pull the copper up and out the hole, flare the pipe and fit the nut to the bayonet, then press them both back into the base holder with one retaining ring behind the front panel and the other in front of it, locking the whole thing together. Personally I prefer the chrome angled floor mounted ones and only fit in wall ones in new houses at the preline stage. Let me know if you have found a better way to install these suckers.

Selgas Services Ltd
          Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

Actually haven’t installed it yet. Customer wants it next week. Replacing the standard floor type one thats on the wall. I always install those ones but this ones a special request. I’ll do what you suggest and put it above the skirting board. It’s in a stud wall and I can make as big a hole as I need. I think they should make them a bit longer anyway but I should be okay. Do you put the plate vertical or horizontal because to be homest I’ve never even seen one installed before.

Participant

Ziggy

It really does not matter which way round you fit them really – it is just a matter of preference – I tend to install them the same way power outlet boxes are fitted so they match more evenly.
              They were never designed or manufactured as a retrofit for the normal 15mm chrome floor bayonets that are also sometimes fitted on a wall, they were made and designed for new housing or alterations where the wall cavity is open for easy access as they are a real bugger to fit otherwise.

Selgas Services Ltd
              Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This