Gas line Problem

Home Forums Public Forums Gas & Gasfitting Gas line Problem

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Hi and I thank you in advance for your help. I was in the process of redoing my shower. A gas line connection was in the way so it had to be moved lower. The plumber did this:

I have been told it is not code but the licensed plumber says it will not leak and I should not worry. What do I do? Thanks

Participant

Not sure about your codes of compliance at where you are but simply put – if it does not comply then the plumber should not have undertaken the work, for if it does not comply and sometime in the future it does decide to spring a leak that leak will amass in the wall cavilty and find a way out possibly by a light switch or something then you are likely to have an explosion or a very fast ignition as we prefer to call it!!!!
          Have your inspector check it out and advise you how to proceed to get it to comply. If the Plumber who did it was not qualified to do the work then you have some recourse available to you.
          To leave it as it is knowing it does not comply will open a can of worms if you ever have an insurance claim as a result of this work.
          As I said earlier have your local inspector to come check it out to keep you both leagal and safe.

Selgas Services Ltd
          Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
          Participant

pete.

Its been a long time sice I have done anything but LPG but the sizing & pipe material gives me the impression that it may need condensate legs & by installing a trap then maybe in the future there may be a problem.

Regards Bob
            up the marroons.

Participant

Rob

I suspect the non compliance portion of the job is the fact that the fitter has installed a mac union which will end up to be in a wall cavity which will become inaccessible so if a leak develops on the union then it will become a major problem. No need to fit condensate legs on Natural Gas lines because the pipeline should be sloped back to a trap at the meter set. Different if the supply is LPG then condensation in this installation will most certainly become a problem and may well be the reason of the non compliance.

Selgas Services Ltd
              Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

I don’t trust gas fitings in a wall. Eventually it will leak, might take fifty years or it may leak next week. Theproblem is you will not be able to detect a leak in the wall cavity and could find it the hard way, as described by Peter. Did your plumber do a pressure test?

» This message has been edited by Paidpiper on 28 July 2006

Participant

In my area of Kentucky that wouldn’t pass inspection to say the least. All breakdown unions must be accessible and also only serve an immediate appliance; not in-line as a continuation to a branch of gas fixtures.

As to what all replies suggest, this union can leak over time due to vibration and age of movement in the structure.

I would believe the correct repair in this case would be to eliminate that galvanized nipple and using a left/right nipple and coupling to rejoin the piping. If there is a furnace on the opposite side of that wall and there is no drip/condensate leg, it needs one no matter what the gas utility states how clean their gas is. It’s the piping travelling to the appliances that causes dirty screens/oil from thread cutting buildup.

DUNBAR

Website Moderator

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This