Water Heater Knocking Sound

Home Forums Public Forums Gas & Gasfitting Water Heater Knocking Sound

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I own a Mor-Flo self cleaning water heater model nbr G8140T403NX
        It is approx 8 yrs old and has been making a louder knocking or popping sound as it heats up. On the cold water inlet there is a “T” going to my sprinkler system (I dont think this has any bearing). The knock will stop when the water gets to temperature. Its not affected by turning devices on/off and I have “shock stops” on all the fixtures, so once again I dont believe this is an issue. Its fllushed regularly. Any Ideas or is the unit just seeing its days? Whats causing the noise itself?
        Thanks in advance!

Participant

I am not familiar with the model you have stated herein however, your description of the problem sounds a lot like lime or calcium build up within the cylinder and when the main burner lights up the heat causes the chunks of lime to bang against the walls of the cylinder causing the sound you are hearing. Unfortunately flushing will not get all the chunks of lime out of the cylinder as they are more than likely bigger than the diameter of the draining point itself. Given this fact there is very little one can do to get rid of the annoying problem even adding a water softener to the inlet supply at this point would not greatly assist but should you decide to replace the unit I would advise you to install one at that time as well.

Selgas Services Ltd
          Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
          Participant

Peter. have you ever tried recirculating vinegar through the system??? I have used it on Solar to remove calcium build up in panels Vinegar being a food based acid as well as low acidity wont harm the panels.
            Bob

Participant

Bob

Thank you for your valued input into this lime problem and yes we have used vinegar as a deliming agent but alas our lime encrustation problem here is so severe that we have no alternative to use acids to do the job, unfortunately one can only do this a couple of times without causing too much damage. We obviously promote the use of water softeners to overcome the problem – but like most places in the World not everyone can afford to have them. Alas – such is life – us poor Plumbers just have to keep replacing components!!!!!!!!

Selgas Services Ltd
              Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This