water boiler

Home Forums Public Forums Gas & Gasfitting water boiler

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

1. how often does it need to be drained -2. its a gas boiler and it leaks onto the floor – is there something that I can do to get it to leek outside the house by changing it or adding something to it

Participant

Maunfacturers advise that “regular servicing” is paramount for all gas burning appliances and we take that down here to mean annually – so I am suggesting once a year should be adequate for your boiler.
          I don’t understand what you mean by it is leaking and can you direct the leak to somewhere else. In short a boiler should not leak at all – have a boiler servicman check it out for you a little bit of cash spent now will save you megga bucks in the future.

Selgas Services Ltd
          Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

Wlkns,

When you say “boiler,” I assume you have a steam heat system. The only place that water is allowed to leak from such a system is at the pressure safety relief valve atop the boiler, and that really shouldn’t happen to any significant degress unless something is wrong. There is a similar relief valve atop furnaces that provide recirculated hot water heating. Your water heater also has a TPR safety valve. All of these valves should rarely if ever leak if all is well.

Nontheless, it is a good idea that these relief valves be plumbed so that they discharge water into some sort of drain or outside the building, so that in the event of leaks water damage is avoided.

All this being said, Peter is correct that you should have the system checked by a professional, especially if you really do have a boiler.

Participant

“When you say “boiler,” I assume you have a steam heat system.”

Almost all residential hydronic heating boilers here locally are not steam, but rather water circulating systems.

A leak could mean several things, ranging from a corroded dialectric union or line to a ruptured firebox. And of course one of the most common sources of leaks as previously mentioned is the T/P or pressure relief valve.

If it’s leaking from the very bottom of the boiler into the flame tubes I’d say it’s a rupture, and this is a dangerous situation as it could just let loose at any time (like a ruptured hot water heater), and, with up to 180 degree water temps, that could cause some serious damage.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This