Washing Machine

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Washing Machine

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 24 years ago by Avatar photoArt_xyz.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hi, I have recently bought a 34 yr old house. There is a hook up in the basement for the washing machine water discharge, first time
        using.. The pipe starts at about 3/4″ to 2″ connecting the the main
        sewer pipe with a few bends about 4′ before existing the house. The water has to travel up about 2 1/2′ before reaching the main pipe. I had the discharge line from the washing machine well tightened on the discharge pipe but the water forced it’s way out at the connection. Can this be due to the upward flow needed to reach the main pipe, to small of an opening (3/4″) to handle the washer
        discharge or the main sewer line may be clogged. Note, from upstairs all flushes and nothing backs up. The previous owner had the washing machine hooked up in the gargage but said it works in the basement but his wife preferred being closer to the kitchen??
        Any ideas..
        Thanks…

Participant

Is this a dish washer or a clothes washer? Sounds like that discharge line is too small at 3/4″ if connection is leaking wrong type of connection. 3/4″ discharge should be OK for a dishwasher but a clothes washer should have a 1 1/2″ stand pipe have a plumber check it out.

Participant

I believe most codes will require a 2″ stand pipe for a washer drain. Also the drain pipe needs to run downhill to the sewer line at the rate of 1/4″ per ft. This line may also need a vent to work properly. Sewer gas is potentially deadly, if you are not sure what to do, perhaps you should call a plumber.
            [Edited by art on 23 April 2000]

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This