wood heater

Home Forums Public Forums Gas & Gasfitting wood heater

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I currently have a wood burning combustion heater. I have seen the gas look alikes, and rather fancy the idea of changing over. Can I somehow convert my wood burning heater to gas. Or, do I have to buy a new heater

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Karen Simson
        Adelaide
        Australia

Participant

Experience over some 30 years in the game has taught me that in 98% of all cases where solid fuel heaters have been converted to operate on gaseous fuels there is a considerable drop in performance and economy when operating them. Most solid fuel heaters haveb a completely different firebox arrangement and the flues are usually far greater than those needed for gas burning appliances – hence the poorer performance – never mind the cost of undertaking the conversion!!!!
          You would be by far better to look at buying a gas appliance to replace the solid burner completely.
          Hope this helps.

Selgas Services Ltd
          Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

In my opinion, the real problem with these conversions is the flue/chimney arangement. Flues for wood burning are bulit quite differently than those for gas burning appliances. A gas flue will not work well (and may be dangerous) for a wood fire, and a wood flue will be inefficient venting for a gas fire, as Peter has said.

This applies to the TOTAL REPLACEMENT of a wood-burning appliance with a gas-burning one. The idea of fitting a gas burner into a wood-burning firebox of a wood-burning appliance is another matter altogether. Such modifications are extremely problematic and unlikely to succeed.

NtP

Participant

Thank you both for all your help. I thought that probably would be the case, but thought there was no harm in asking.

Thanks again

Karen

Participant

Karen

Yer welcome no harm in asking now is there.

Selgas Services Ltd
                Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This