Gas heater and wall construction

Home Forums Public Forums Gas & Gasfitting Gas heater and wall construction

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Hi,
        We are trying to finish off a part of our basement. I was wondering if there is any regulation or a recommended distance to leave between the gas water heater and a wall that we are trying to build?
        Thanks,
        Anna

Participant

Check with your local Plumbing/Gas Inspector for compliance clearances from combustable surfaces as they differ with each authority it would seem.

Selgas Services Ltd
          Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

Peter is correct to direct you to your local plumbing authority for the installation requirements. However, as far as I know, the codes do not specify any minimum distances of the water heater body from walls. Modern water heater tanks have insulated bodies that may be quite close to and even in contact with surrounding walls. So far as I knoew, the building codes are silent about this. However, the codes do specify such things as the construction of and the minimum clearances of the water heater vent pipes from combustible materials, the minimum elevation of the water heater firebox (18″) above a garage floor, the types of inlet valves (full-bore), and the location of unions (within 12″ of the heater), etc…

NtP

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This