Rheem water heater not lighting

Home Forums Public Forums Gas & Gasfitting Rheem water heater not lighting

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Rheem Powervent Model: 21vp40-1p on LP gas

Manual:http://www.rheem.com/Documents/ResourceLibrary/UseAndCare/RheemPowerVent/Ap10960-11.pdf ( basically the same one but newer than what I have) Mine has the the Robertshaw Model HS780 Ignition Control)

Hello,
        My hot water heater will not light. The blower motor runs constantly. For a while when I noticed there was no hot water I would go to the basement, turn the power switch off, wait a few minutes, turn it back on and it would light. Now it won’t light at all. From constulting the manual I checked the the ECO and pressed the reset button and still nothing. So I figured it must be the thermostat (found that to be a common malfunction) so I replaced it. Still doesn’t light. The element glows and there are a couple of clicks but will not light. So I’m guessing it is either the ignition control or the gas valve. Does anyone have any thoughts.

P.S. After reading several other posts I want to make it very clear that I do not intend on messing with any gas fittings, connections, valves, or what-nots if that is the problem. I don’t have a problem repairing many things, but I will NOT mess with the gas itself (I will call a licensed pro)http://www.rheem.com/Documents/ResourceLibrary/UseAndCare/RheemPowerVent/Ap10960-11 .pdf

» This message has been edited by johnp4 on 03 August 2003

Participant

Sure sounds like you have a blocked pilot light to me – have it checked out and possibly cleaned and I am sure you will find that things begin to work again.
          You are to be congratulated in knowing your limitations and not playing with gas without having the knowledge of all of the safety and technical issues involved.
          A small charge for this work will ensure you have trouble free operation for the forseeable future.

Selgas Services Ltd
          Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This