Need help with gas boiler plz!

Home Forums Public Forums Gas & Gasfitting Need help with gas boiler plz!

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 21 years ago by Avatar photoSelgas.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Keymaster

Hi everyone, I am sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this and I’m not sure whether it is allowed or not but i just have a quick question you can hopefully help me out with.
        In my home we have a 10 year old natural gas boiler (rheem)
        In its lifetime it has never been serviced. Also, there is a chord which must be pulled every six months for maintenance purposes (pressure release I think) which has only been pulled once or twice in the boilers lifetime.
        The water that comes out of the boiler, which is used for showering, washing, drinking etc, tastes and smells of. It is similar to that bitter, unpleasant taste that comes with accidentally getting some shampoo or cologne in your mouth if you have ever had that happen to you.
        Now, I know it is not good not to properly maintain a boiler in the first place, but are there any health risks associated with the continued use of this boiler? I can’t do anything about it since it is not my boiler, and I don’t have the money to replace or fix it. The owners of the house and boiler believe that as long as the boiler is making hot water it is good, so there can be no support on their part unless the boiler fails, or I have undenying evidence that it is not good to keep the boiler like this.
        I’m sure after all these years there would be a ton of sedimentation in the tank, chemicals, leakages etc. The ventilation shafts are filled with south build-up, so carbon monoxide is definitely being released which means improper combustion. Now, to me, this is an automatic sign that there is something wrong, but as I said before there is no point in arguing this fact for support.

So yea, I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me out with this, and if not totally then I would be greatfull for some links/info on what i can do with this. The most important thing I want to know is whether it is actually dangerous to use this water.
        Also can the actual gas mix with the water in some way, or is this impossible?

Thanks again.

Participant

Did my answer via email assist you any?

Selgas Services Ltd
          Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This