Defective Thermocouple?

Home Forums Public Forums Gas & Gasfitting Defective Thermocouple?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Two months ago I replaced the Thermocouple on my HydroTherm Gas/Steam Furance. The old Thermoncouple was 5 years old. Last night the pilot light went out. I tried to relight it – it wouldn’t stay lit – I cleaned the Thermocouple and the orifice of pilot gas line and again tried to relight the pilot light – still wouldn’t stay lit.
        I purchased a new Honeywell Thermocouple and installed it. This time the pilot light stayed lit. In the past Thermocouples have lasted for 4 to 6 years – the one I replaced lasted 2 months. Was this Thermocouple defective or could there be some underlying problem that is causing the Thermocouple to fail?

Participant

Wally,

Like any other mass-produced device, including light bulbs, thermocouples may be defective and fail prematurely.

That being said, other things can cause failure. I’ll name a few. The control valve could be faulty, but the fact that the problem resolved after a new TC was installed clears that suspect. Two other culprits deserve interogation…1) a kinked TC tube (connects to the control unit); and a excessively hot pilot flame (can damage the TC itself). Both are easily checked.

NtP

Participant

Thermocouples can last 5 minutes or more than 5 years as they are a mass produced item, however check to see if the one you have has a larger than normal bulb in the area just under the gas valve as these one have a wax filled saftey cut off and will shut down if the main flame spills out the front panel for any reason such as a blocked flue etc.
            If this is the case then get the services of a suitably qualified gasfitter to correct your problem do NOT attempt this repair work yourself.

Selgas Services Ltd
            Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

Nick and Peter,

Thanks for your help. I’m hoping it was just a defective Thermocouple. I didn’t find a larger than normal bulb on the old Thermocouple or the line kinked. Not sure about the excessively hot pilot light – I’ll keep that in mind if the new Thermocouple fails in the near future.

Wally

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This