Gas Pipe Size Natuaral Gas.

Home Forums Public Forums Gas & Gasfitting Gas Pipe Size Natuaral Gas.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

There is about a 40 foot run of 3/4″ pipe before the 75,000 btu furnace and 35,000 btu water heater. A leg does from there to a 22,000 btu clothes drier.

Okay that comes to 132,000 imput btus. According to the chart linked below, it looks as if I’m putting it close or maybe even in excess.
        http://www.aprsupply.com/aprtech14.htm

I need to put a typical home gas range on line before the furnace.

Do I need to change the entire length… where the pipe coming into the house from 3/4′ to 1″??
        At least the main trunk? which is about 32 feet.

Enough info here?

Thanks CRR

» This message has been edited by straight_cut on 16 March 2003

Participant

Please read the post before yours , call a certified gas installer,thank you

Participant

Mike thanks… by the end of the week I will have talked with a few union plumbers by trade and a couple of engineers. Perhaps they will even lay it out for me. I will however do the work myself.

Union plumbers did the job I’m talking about. It was me, not a certified plumber that recognized the possible discrepancy in undersized piping. The licensed HVAC Mechanic that installed the furnace didn’t make note of the situation either. fact is…I don’t think he even looked at it.

I will become educated enough to do the job. It will be of 100% top quality when finished too.

Perhaps I came to the wrong place for plumbing conversation. Maybe I’d be better off going to a fishing forum.

Maybe next time I install a new electrical circuit I should get scared about it and call a certifies electrician…
            NOT!!!
            Thanks for the help I’m seeking.

» This message has been edited by straight_cut on 16 March 2003

Participant

http://wwwboard.masterplumbers.com/wwwboard/images/forums/forum2.gif

Gas & Gasfitting
              If you have questions or answers regarding Gas in General, Gas Appliances or Gasfitting, click here to enter…

Participant

Straightcut

I beleive what we are all trying to say to you is that for those folk who are not suitably qualified undertaking gasfitting work there is a huge likelyhood of something going astray along the route – such as a leak or even worse an explosion.
                Knowing what and how to do the job in hand is one thing but understanding all the why’s is quite another, that is why all the Qualified Plumbers and Gasfitters who assist folk such as yourself in here will always advise that you hire the services of a suitably qualified gasfitter to undertake the task on your behalf, a little cash outlayed initially will ensure you have a safe and sound operating system that will not let you down due to poor workmanship.
                We are not saying that a layman cannot run pipes from here to there – we are saying that in the interest of human and property safety have it done by a qualified tradesperson experienced in the field of work you wish undertaken.
                Regards………

Selgas Services Ltd
                Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

Peter, thanks for your concern…..but why offer advice if none is to be given??? Instead of having a question forum..why not just have a page linking people to contractors.

There are zillions of competent people out there…I am one of them..by no means do I have the knowledge base or time efficiency of plumbers, fitters or HVAC mechanics..but so what..with ***proper specs***..almost all jobs are easy…yea, I said it..easy. We’re talking about running a few feet of black pipe…SAFELY… Nothing more.

I am not stupid enough to fire up a new installation without having it checked out…more than once…before having the inspectors look at it. I just hate them come out more than once.

Remember what I posted. It was I, that noticed the possible short comings of the people you recommended me to hire. I didn’t expect anybody to recommend anything based on my imput…however, I expected a few questions about the situation.

Sincerely….

Participant

I am sorry you see our answers the way you do – we are here to assist but in doing so want to protect the life and safety of humans and property – we are NOT mind readers nor are we folk that want to misslead others BUT we are very very concerned about safety and correctly undertaken works by others regardless of how insignificant our answers may apear to be to the recipient/s concerned.
                    It does concern us when we hear of “experts” who have offered or undertaken works for customers of a less than usually accepted quality or undertaken in a poor workmanship way. We have no way to overcome this except to continue where we can to offer sound and safe answers to questions posed upon us.
                    I hope this helps and you understand the position from where we stand our endeavour to ensure safety to all.

Selgas Services Ltd
                    Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This