gas furnace pressure relief valve pipe leaks…

Home Forums Public Forums Gas & Gasfitting gas furnace pressure relief valve pipe leaks…

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hello,
        I am a new home owner of an older home, who just the other day went down into his basement to find a very large amount of water coming out of the pipe allocated for pressure relief. Seeing as how the pipe did not lead to a drain, I assume this is an abnormal amt of leakage. For now, I’ve attached a hose to the pipe so that the drainage leads directly into the floor drain in the basement.

Will my temporary solution harm the furnace system? And by allowing the water to drain, am I wasting water that really shouldn’t be leaking out in the first place? Do I need a new pressure relief valve instead?

Thanks for your help and insight…

elmer [email protected]

Participant

Firstly you wanna tell me what kinda furnace it is and what is it doing heating radiators or hot air ducts???

Selgas Services Ltd
          Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

My apologies. It is a gas boiler that heats water for radiator heating of the house. Thanks!

Participant

Not my forte water radiator units but from what you are saying I suspect that a new pressure relief valve should fix the problem.

Selgas Services Ltd
              Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

Elmer sounds like your expansion tank is full when your boiler heats thermal exp forms and tank is to absorb , if tank is waterlogged relief will relieve pressure, or your feeder may be seeping pressure into system, you should call a plumber or heating contractor to check your boiler operation ,the relief valve is doing what it is supposed to do relieve pressure

» This message has been edited by mikeinpa on 21 December 2002

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This