Gas Control Odor

Home Forums Public Forums Gas & Gasfitting Gas Control Odor

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Is it normal to smell natural gas at the Off/Pilot/On gas control knob of a new water heater? I just had it installed last week. I’ve been checking for gas odor all around the water heater, but the only place I smell any is by placing my nose on top of and barely touching the knob. Many thanks.

Participant

Nope you should not be able to smell gas at the control valve at all – apart from suggesting you use a mixture of detergent and water and carefully apply it to the general area – any bubbling will indicate the location of a leak.
          I would suggest however, that you get the gasfitter who installed it back to check it out and repair the leak if any. Do NOT attempt to repair it yourself.

Selgas Services Ltd
          Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

Peter,
            I called the gas company to do a leak check. The tech came and used an electronic gas sniffing device as well as a soapy solution around all the unit. No leaks! He attributed the smell to oils used inside the gas control valve as well as the smell of the valve’s metal. Thanks again!

Participant

Happy to have been of some small assistance to you and I am more than pleased to see you contacted the right people for the job.
              Thanks for the reply.
              Cheers

Selgas Services Ltd

Participant

i couldn’t agree more if you smell gas call the local gas company to be safe. a couple years ago my wife called me during the day and said she smelled gas i told her to call the gas company immediatly she did and it turned out to be the oven that was not burning properly and was emiting carbon dioxide!

Participant

Robert

Well strange things happen to us all from time to time however both Carbon Dioxide and the more common Carbon Monoxide gas (caused by burning fossell based fuels through incorrectly adjusted burners) – does not have a smell than can be detected by humans in the first instance without a carbon detecting device such as a fuel gas analyser.
                  As we all know Carbon Monoxide is the dangerous one – the silent killer and the toxic compounds remain the bloodstream for a very long time.
                  Carbon Dioxide is the result of burning a carbon based fuel and is basically harmless unless it is concentrated into a confined area whereupon it will prevent access to oxygen for breathing and or combustion purposes.
                  Cheers

Selgas Services Ltd

Participant

ooops thats what i meant and i do know the difference!

Participant

Robert

We all have whoops’s in our lives hahahaha you are forgiven!!!!

Selgas Services Ltd

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This