Valiant combo boiler – no hot water

Home Forums Public Forums Gas & Gasfitting Valiant combo boiler – no hot water

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I’ve got a 7 year old Valiant combination boiler. The heating is working perfectly but the hot water has packed up. When I turn on the hot tap (the pressure is v. good) the gas lights and immediately cuts out, the gas comes back on and cuts out …. this continues until I turn the tap off. I’ve had the engineer (who usually services the boiler) around to try and fix the problem and after scratching his head for a while he replaced the controlling circuit board. This fixed the problem for a day but I have only been able to get hot water on 2 days in the following three weeks.

I understand that their is a controller value that will cut off the gas if the water pressure drops to danger levels. Is it possible that this could have failed or be mall-functioning?

At the moment I have shelled out £170 pounds to replace a component that was probably sound and am no better off.

I’d be grateful for any ideas as I have the engineer coming back next Monday.

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
        Participant

Nick D. Have you by any chance installed a water saving Shower head?
          Bob

Participant

Thanks for the reply Bob. No, the shower is the same Mita mixer unit I have had for 12 years. I even took it apart a couple of days ago cleaned out the head, checked out mixer value unit etc but this had no impact on the lack of hot water. I can’t get the boiler to light even if I run the hot water tap in the sink right next to it, so I’d be surprised if it was shower related.

My engineer has suggested that the problem could be related to early signs of the heat exchanger or water pump failing but, to me, this does not seem to be consistent with the heating working flawlessly. I’d have thought they would both be on the blink.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This