Gas Furnace needing to be reset

Home Forums Public Forums Gas & Gasfitting Gas Furnace needing to be reset

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

We have a Day & Night Gas Furnace (10-15 years old) that I keep needing to hit reset on to keep it going. We had a cleaning/inspection done earlier this year and at that time the guy told us it was “going”. He wasn’t quite sure what the problem was(it would need to be investigated, i.e.$$) but it probably wasn’t worth the cost to check into. And then gave me a quote for a new one ($3-5,000 depending on model). Does anyone know of possible causes for always needing to hit reset? It may be a little slow lighting the pilot light as well. Or should we just bite the bullet and get a new one? Thanks, Helga

Participant

at $3000-$5000 for a new one how could it not be worth looking into? a diagnosis WILL COST YOU MONEY no one is going to do it for free. to me it sounds like your guy doesn’t have a clue whats wrong, shouldn’t take more than 1/2 hour to figure it out

Participant

Possible causes for “lockouts” that need resetting are numerous but in the main they are usually caused by faulty spark ignition devices that are used to light pilot burners that in turn light the main gas burner/s. Faults can be caused through slow acting solenoid valves which do not open fast enough to allow the gas to flow to the pilot when required. This fault is usually easily identified as the burner will always light the second time as the gas is now at the location where iginition is to take place.
            ALL of these faults are easily identified and corrected by someone who knows what they are doing and knows how to undertake the electrical testing proceedures required to identify them.
            My response to you is only to give you a guide as to the possible causes I do NOT intend to give you instructions on how to repair the faults yourself but would strongly advise you to contact a qualified expert to repair your existing machine.
            If you are intending to try and attempt a repair yourself – before you start please put my name as a beneficiary of your estate because gas repairs attempted by those who are not qualified and experienced usually result in some serious harm or fatalities!!!!
            Remember what I have said – contact an expert in this field do not attempt to try it yourself for everyone’s safety.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This