Bushings and gas lines

Home Forums Public Forums Gas & Gasfitting Bushings and gas lines

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

What are the reason bushings are specifically prohibited from gas lines? Why not reducers?

Participant

Bushings have a tendency to crack if over tightened.This is what I have been told by gas inspectors.Course any fitting would,but with a bushing it is easier to do .

Participant

I am assuming correctly I hope that you are referring to a reducing bush like say from 20mm to 15mm (3/4 to 1/2) that could be used to reduce the size of a gas pipeline – if this is the case we use them all the time and they comply with our stringent Acts and Regulations – providing they have tapered threads.

Participant

Bell Reducers are approved gas fittings for reducing pipe sizes on a run.
              Bill
              The Local Plumber
              Tustin, California http://www.TheLocalPlumber.com

Participant

You are absolutey correct on your answer Localplumber. At least under UPC, IPC, and NFGC…
                The reason no bushing is allowed is the run may (MAY) have condensation form in the pipe. A bell reducer will allow this to continue on in the pipe, a bushing acts as a little catch that allows standing condensate to start corrision.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This