Gas fitting torque

Home Forums Public Forums Gas & Gasfitting Gas fitting torque

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

What exactly is the correct torque for gas fittings? 1/2 3/4 and 1 inch? Does it differ for tape vs. dope? I’ve read some comments that imply extream and slow presure to cause teflon tape to flow. Other comments warn about overtightning. Is it OK to just guess and then do a leak test? If it passes a leak test then can one assume that it will be OK? Related issues?

Participant

This is the kind of question where the answer is, if you have to ask, you should not do it. Gas is too dangerous to be dabbling with it and trying to decide how tight is tight enough. And tightness, as serious as it is, might be the least of the factors you should be concerned about

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by fourth year:
            This is the kind of question where the answer is, if you have to ask, you should not do it. Gas is too dangerous to be dabbling with it and trying to decide how tight is tight enough. And tightness, as serious as it is, might be the least of the factors you should be concerned about

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.. AGAIN… AMAZING batting a million percent.

OK CLASS is in AGAIN

During apprenticeship training the rule of thumb is 3 to 5 turns by hand and 2 to 3 by wrench.

Over tightening can split a fitting and under tighten can cause leaks of course.

Personally I never use Teflon tape or paste on Natural gas lines as I like leak block or rector seal # 5 or blue block or Hercules joint compound.

Again your local codes will prevail and so with your local inspector/gas supplier.

A lot of helpers cannot use Teflon tape properly and therefore rather then take a chance of this stuff getting into the gas line I use compound.

Teflon has its uses and even DuPont has a “gas grade” Teflon that you should consider if your code will not allow blue block or other types or Proven compounds
            Dope we call it in the trade.

TESTING is the key to any work you do and not everyone will make up a fitting to the same amount.

It has to do with strength but also some threads are deeper then others and thus enter a fitting more.

Plumbing is NOT as critical as say torque a pump head or flange on 1,500+ # steam lines

The thing is not to use over sized wrenches and not KILL the pipe into the fittings,

There should be around 2 to 3 threads exposed when making up a joint.

What you could do is try a few pieces of pipe and then test them for leaks until you get the “feel” of making piping up.

Compound is very forgiving when it comes to filling small voids in the piping threads.

Your not talking about making up a 6″ threaded steam pipe or fire stand pipe your only talking small piping here.

Just make sure the pipe joint compound your using is compatible with the type of fuel your using and DO NOT use cast fittings or Bushings only reducing couplings.

One more thing NEVER, EVER, EVER, listen to a helper for advice.

If you have any questions feel free to E mail me.

Most home centers can even give you MUCH BETTER ADVICE then a helper as a helper thinks they know and here lies the danger as a little knowledge is a very dangerous thing.

Have all your gas piping tested and INSPECTED as this will give you some protection incase something goes wrong.

Personally I think you should hire a Licensed Master Gas fitter or LMP and DO NOT ALLOW anyone not actually licensed into your home

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This