gas line corrosion

Home Forums Public Forums Gas & Gasfitting gas line corrosion

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

The natural gas line to my house is ~15 yrs old. The pipe above ground before and after the meter shows little corrosion, only light rust. However, the line appears heavily corroded (~1/32 deep pits) at the point it leaves the ground. Is this serious enough to have the line replaced now? Is there danger of catastrophic failure, or only the development of a slow leak? There is currently no evidence of a leak.

Participant

Replace this line ASAP and this time have the installer use the proper piping for out door work OR at least use the proper covering

Participant

Usually the first sign of a leak is when plants start turning brown. Unless you test it periodically, and an underground line should be tested to 60 psi, you will not know of a leak until it is serious. An approved material is a green epoxy coated black steel pipe. The problem with it is that unless every scratch in the coating is sealed before burial, it can rust out in a matter of a few years.

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by fourth year:
              Usually the first sign of a leak is when plants start turning brown. Unless you test it periodically, and an underground line should be tested to 60 psi, you will not know of a leak until it is serious. An approved material is a green epoxy coated black steel pipe. The problem with it is that unless every scratch in the coating is sealed before burial, it can rust out in a matter of a few years.

WRONG,WRONG,WRONG as ALWAYS it appears.

Under ground service piping I test at a minimum of 90 PSI for one hour without a drop in pressure.

Saying “An approved material is a green epoxy coated ” Sure does sound REALLY professional huh?

Suppose the manufacturer of “Mill Wrap” uses coal tar enamel which is black then is ILLEGAL and all the miles of piping under ground should be dug up and replaced?

What about the YELLOW plastic types of coating is this also NOT approved?

Who does 4th year consider the “approving authority”?

If I use a non approved material BUT approved color can I get away with it?

Did 4th year bother to tell us what schedule this approved black magic piping is?

I guess in his state schedule 10 is OK AS long as it is epoxy coating and it has nothing to do with the supply pressure.

I wish I lived in a place that had one pipe for all conditions and I could make up the code as I needed and not bother knowing anything about soil conditions or earthquake zone piping.

Yup being of this kind of mentality is really fun.
              Now What if the powers that made this GREEN stuff decided to change colors IS this pipe now illegal or just the covering.

WHAT is the name of the tool WE REAL PLUMBERS use to check for voids in the insulation during back filling? COME on GUY you have to know this as WE plumbers install this pipe HUH?

After all 4th year mentioned how critical it is to make sure there is no scratches in the pipe protection so WHAT TOOL do plumbers use to check the integrity of the installed pipe Prior to covering it

This helper should also tell us how much below and ABOVE the pipe clean fill should be used.

What about the compacting how many pounds are required Mr. Gas 4th year expert?

Wow this plummmmin stuff sure be complicated if taken seriously huh guy GOOD thing your a 4th year so all the technical aspects do not concern you.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This