Gas vs. Electric during remodeling

Home Forums Public Forums Gas & Gasfitting Gas vs. Electric during remodeling

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I am redoing a super small kitchen and will be moving the location of the stove. Right now it is a gas stove.

My question is: What would be easier- Moving the gas line to accommodate the new location? Or having a 220 electrical line put in?

I am in a co-op apt, so the electric is already in the apt, but to re-route the gas, we may have to work between walls. I will of course be hiring a licensed professional for either case scenario….

Any thoughts?

Participant

Easier job Normally electric would be as you can run wire mold in some localities according to the NEC and gas piping should be concealed

If you plan of doing a lot of cooking Gas would be most likely be the cheaper fuel over a longer period of time.

Depending on the location of the nearest window would also determine the kind of heat sourse.

You could possibly get 2 estimates one from the licensed Master Electrican and one from the Master Plumber.

You also should take into consideration even if you choose to use “gas” you will still need an electrician as some codes do require an electronic ignition even on stoves not just boilers

Participant

The question would be where the electric panel is, and where the existing gas is in relation to the new location. If the costs of doing either are approximately the same then Sylvan’s comments are appropriate. The other consideration would be to check the stoves and see if one or the other has features that you prefer. Your range hood could also be a factor in the decision. In my case, I cook with magnets so gas was not a consideration, nor was a range hood necessary.

Participant

A range hood is always a good idea, since it can help clear a smoke-filled kitchen from either burning something in the oven, or some other unforseen problem. Also, the range hood also provides a light, which comes in handy. If you are doing work in the kitchen, it doesn’t pay to be stingy over a range hood.
              Maybe 4th year likes to do things twice in his house, but if I was doing my kitchen, i would do it right or not do it at all.

The friendly chemist

Participant

Maybe you need a range hood in your house because you burn things, but in the 22 years we had our previous house using the induction range, my wife never turned on the hood fan a single time. So in this one we eliminated it.

Participant

Fourth Year: Having a hood is good if there is something amiss in the kitchen. That is why they are called “accidents”, not “intentional events”. By your reasoning, its silly to have car insurance since you think you are a good driver. Accidents happen, even to the best of us.

The Friendly Chemist

Participant

Thanks so much for the insight. I will be getting estimates soon.

As I do not have a range hood now, I am curious as to what I will gain by having one. If I may sound silly for a second- I like the way they look, but never knew their purpose. Unfortunately there is no window actually in the kitchen. The nearest one is about 20 unobstructed feet away. Would that be a problem with a range hood?

I am dealing with a quirky small space (building was built in 1890)and also a limited budget. But I am also not going to intentionally do anything the wrong way.

All input is greatly appreciated!

Participant

A vent has to vent to the outside (obviously). This can be done through a window, or through the brick (which is the way we have it). If you are going through the mess and cost of renovations, you may as well put the vent in. It helps eliminates odors (not just smoke) from the kitchen, so if someone decides to fry fish, you won’t be smelling it for the next few months.

Also, vents come with lights, which comes in handy at times. At the end of all this, it is your decision, depending on your budget.
                      I, personally would have one installed.

The Friendly Chemist

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This