Please Help!!!!

Home Forums Public Forums Gas & Gasfitting Please Help!!!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hi..
        I was wondering if anyone knows how to stop the gas hot water pilot light from blowing out all the time…The winds or something for some reason have started blowing it out. It has gone out Friday, Monday, Tuesday and today! The gas boiler has also gone out 2 or 3 times within the past week. I would appreciate your help

Thank you..

Participant

If the gas pilot is actually being blown out by winds in the room, the only solution is to build a wind barrier around the base of the water heater where the pilot is. The wind whould not be going up or down through the water heater from the chimney – if it is, there is something wrong with the construction of the flue connections.

Check the possibility of condensation on the base of the tank dripping into the pilot light and extinguishing the flame. This can happen if the heater thermostat is at the lowest setting. Also check the flame size, if it is very low, fluctuations in gas pressure can extinguish the pilot during a pressure drop.

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Harold Kestenholz:
            If the gas pilot is actually being blown out by winds in the room, the only solution is to build a wind barrier around the base of the water heater where the pilot is. The wind whould not be going up or down through the water heater from the chimney – if it is, there is something wrong with the construction of the flue connections.

Check the possibility of condensation on the base of the tank dripping into the pilot light and extinguishing the flame. This can happen if the heater thermostat is at the lowest setting. Also check the flame size, if it is very low, fluctuations in gas pressure can extinguish the pilot during a pressure drop.

Mr.Kestenholz,
            Thank-you for your suggestions. I’ll check those tonight. It really concerns me because the boiler, water heater and chimney (stainless steel pipe) were just installed last year. I’m really concerned about the carbon monoxide problem too. Thanks again. Happy Thanksgiving!

Participant

If your boiler and water heater are installed in a confined space, you must provide adaquet make-up air. Lack of oxagen will both snuff out the flame and cause dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. For your own safety, I’d advise calling a professional.

Participant

If your having a down draft problem and not a free air deficiency look into the possibility of having a Swiss cap installed. Thankfully you know about calling a professional as this reminded me of this brain dead guy “Jack” who went to a home center and asked a stock clerk how to install gas appliances without a flue pipe to save energy ..

This moron Jack will someday kill himself constantly looking for cheap idea’s.

As your well aware Gas and flue is nothing to play around with.

Have a local utility or your plumbing professional to check for “spillage”
                Good luck.

Have a great holiday

Participant

Beachbum,
                  Call a LICENCED GASMAN because it could be a number of things and not just one of those listed above. Plus I’d rather you on buming on the beach than in the morutary getting ready to push up daisies

Rgds
                  Michael the gasman http://www.burngas.com

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This