BRADFORD WHITE CORP GAS WATER HEATER

Home Forums Public Forums Gas & Gasfitting BRADFORD WHITE CORP GAS WATER HEATER

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I have a 50 U.S. gallon water heater – model number MI50455LNH10, which is about six years old.

When my family goes away for a few days and the hot water does not get used, we return to luke warm water and are unable to even have a bath. It seems that when the tank has been inactive the temperature cools, and when we start to use the water again, the water temperature seems to go back up after a few hours.

When we go away I do not set the red temperature dial to “vacation”.

To further complicate the matter, the red temperature dial is almost set to max. Inspite of this unusually high setting we get hot water which is at a reasonable temperature. I would expect it to be too hot, but it is not.

The only external factor is that when we go away, I usually turn off the main water valve into the house. I do not know if this would make a difference or not.

Signed,
        Frustrated.

Participant

The biggest difference would be whether you have a house when you returned. If the water is shut off then you must turn the valve to PILOT, otherwise a malfunctioning thermostat could overheat the water heater and if there is no freshwater supply the temperature/pressure relief valve will not be able to function to reduce the temperature and/or pressure and the heater could explode with the force of several sticks of dynamite.

Participant

I just had the dip tube replaced
            and the problem has been
            remedied. The dip tube was
            sheared off near the top of the
            tank.

Thanks for the info on setting
            to pilot when turning off the
            main water supply.

TAZ

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This