propane gas and copper tubing

Home Forums Public Forums Gas & Gasfitting propane gas and copper tubing

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

What size of copper tubing is required to carry propane from the tank to a
        furnace, water heater, & fireplace in a residence. Please give I.D. dimensions. Keep
        in mind that the short loop on the propane tank from the tank to the regulator is 3/8″
        O.D. Thanks.

Participant

The size of the copper tubing should be predicated on the following.
          1- local codes do prevail
          2-BTU INPUT demand of the furnace
          3-BTU input of the water heater
          4-BTU Input of the fire place
          5- Available pressure after regulator
          6- Total developed lenth of piping
          7- Total demand of all appliances
          8- Size of orifices
          9- Location (Part of the country in relation to sea level)
          10- Is your flue pipes adequate size so you do not get spill back?
          11- Do you have enough “Free air” for proper combustion?
          12- What ambient conditions are near this proposed piping installation?
          13-What type of “copper tubing” are you asking about K,L,TPCR annealed or drawn?
          14- Are you asking about possible compression or flair connections?
          15- What angle flair 45 0r 37 degree? double flair or single?
          16- What test pressure are you planing on using and for how long?

I think you should contact your local Master Gas fitter OR Master plumber and Keep away from the guessing guys with no “Masters license” they can get someone really messed up.

SylvanLMP
          [Edited by SylvanLMP on 17 April 2000]

Participant

Items 1,2,3,4,5, & 6 are the only ones that relate to the pipe size. #13 you cannot use type M since it requires compression or solder connections. #14 You should only use flare with LP gas. #15 is irrelevent.
            The pipe from the tank is 3/8 since it is under high pressure. If this is a house, then there will be an additional secondary regulator where the gas enters the house. The piping in the house has to be sized according to the standard low pressure tables. Just guessing, and depending on the length of the pipe and the location of the appliances relative to the secondary regulator, the main line could be 1″ which would normally preclude copper tubing, and many jurisdictions will not allow copper inside the house anyway.

Participant

“Just Guessing 1” HJ? Hey let me send my apprentices to your state to take the Masters Exam if you can JUST guess a gas service line size. A liite bit of training can get someone killed huh

SylvanLMP

Participant

Lighten up, Sylvan. If you noticed I had qualifiers as to the length and capacity, and that he had to size it according to the usual tables. I put the 1″ in there to indicate that even if copper were allowed, the sizes he would be using mght be too large for it. And if it is a mobile home, he might only need 3/4. Besides, what does the size and capacity of the flues have to do with the gas pipe size. Or any the other irrelevant items posted above.

P.S., you may be able to scare others away, but I am here to keep you honest, even at $235.00 per hour as an “expert”.

Participant

The point being that anyone thinking of fooling with Gas should know the codes andpay a professional. By the way MY professional advice is $225 per hr MIN of 4 hours. Have a great Easter OR Pass over what ever the case maybe

SylvanLMP

Participant

Troy,
                    In Australia we have pretty tight regulations and controls. However we too have people who are prepared to put the health and safety of not only themselves but their families and friends and anyone else who may visit their homes or businesses at risk. When you deal with water and stuff up you get wet feet and upset. When you stuff-up with gas you get dead, or if you are lucky scarred for life. It is also amazing to see the amount of Professional Master Plumbers with years of qualifications and experience prepared to give advice on how to deal with gas to the general handy-man who has no professional qualification or understanding of how we work with such a dangerous product. There are so many people who are literally “penny wise and pound foolish.) It should also be noted that any information we as professionals supply can be used against us in a court of law should anything happen as a result of the information provided. Also troy I would ask you before you undertake this gas plumbing work yourself you ring your Insurance Company and ask them whether they will cover you for the illegal works that you are going to undertake. Over here if there was an incident like a fire I will almost guarantee that if the insurance company could find an escape from the policy(like finding illegal works installed) they would use this. Weigh up the costs against the savings!!!!!!!

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This