Toilet Flushing causes pipe rumblings.

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Toilet Flushing causes pipe rumblings.

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 17 years ago by Avatar photoRetired plbg1.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I notice that when anything but a #1 is flushed down the toilet in my Master Bathroom, I can hear a rumbling in the pipes (doesn’t last longer than a second or two). Now the same thing is happening with the toilet in my guest bathroom (on the same level). Any thoughts?

Participant

Sounds like you have a bad ballcock . Ballcock is where water comes intto tank with float ball on it, replace washer are put in new one. When washer wares out it starts to chatter.

Art retired plbg

Participant

Thank You for your response sir. So, the rumbling that I hear in the pipes(after the toilet has been flushed) is due to the fact that the ballcock and washer needs to be replaced? Please excuse my lack of plumbing knowledge, I’m curious as to how a faulty washer causes a chatter.

Participant

It wears out and does not seat it self, try a new washer and see.

Art retired plbg

Participant

STATUS: I figured since it was time for me to get a new toilet anyway, I went ahead and replaced EVERYTHING. New toilet, fillvalve, flapper, etc. I even went as far as to replace the Stop Cock with a 1/4 turn stop cock. Everything was checked for leaks and things looked fine. Much to my dismay, when I flushed the toilet (after putting some tissue in it), sure enough after all the tissue goes into the toilet, about a second later, a hear the same rumbling in the pipes. Any thoughts?

Participant

The only other thing I can think of is the PRV and main shut off valve. You will have to go around and check each area and shut off valve one at a time until you come to where noise is comming from. Its hard to answer you when I am not on job, so bear with me.

Art retired plbg

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This