Water Heater Questions

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Water Heater Questions

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I have a Bradford White water heater that was installed in 1992 that I’m now having problems with. The reset button near the top needs to be reset daily and now the water is scalding hot out of the faucet. I don’t know if the thermostat is bad or if the elements need to be replaced. Anybody have any idea? Or is it best to just replace both elements and thermostat while I have it drained? Also, is it worth it to replace the anode rod? Or should I just get a new water heater? Thanks very much!!!

Participant

If you are trying to do this yourself…..the materials are around $70 tops to replace both upper and lower thermostats, both elements.

If you are hiring a plumber, your best investment is replacing the water heater so that there is a implied warranty that if anything goes wrong….it has at least a 6 year warranty.

It’s all a matter of how you want to spend with the consideration that 6 days, 6 weeks, or 6 months or years that water heater could go after you invest the money on the thermostats/elements.

If it was my money to spend, I’d replace it knowing how old the tank already is.

DUNBAR

Website Moderator

Participant

Thank you Dunbar. I know very little about water heaters – if I replace the elements & thermostats, what else can go wrong with it?

Someone told me I can also replace the anode rod – is that something I should do?

I’m not opposed to getting a plumber in to replace the entire heater if necessary – I’m just trying to keep expenses to a minimun right now.

Thanks very much!!!

Susie

Participant

Well,

You can replace the anode rod as well and basically that would “cover all bases” but if the tank hasn’t been drained once a year or the tank was subjected to high water pressure,

all of these parameters come into play of actually how long that tank will last. If the water is aggressive in your area and the anode rod has been gone for years…you’d be better off with a new one knowing your money is best spent.

If you do it yourself…..you can probably take care of all those items around $100 and if you get a couple years out of the mix, you did good.

Here’s a website with more info regarding water heaters:
              http://www.waterheaterrescue.com

DUNBAR

Website Moderator

Participant

Thanks very much Dunbar! When I came home from work tonight my basement had about 30 gallons of water all over. I guess I’ll be shopping for a new water heater after all…

oh well…the joys of being a homeowner. Anyway, I really do appreciate your help!

Susie

Participant

Susie

Too late now I guess I have just seen your post regarding the water heater – In very simple terms if the water is HOT then the elements are working, if the water is TOO hot then the elements are fine it is the controlling device to the elements that is at fault namely the thermostat/s. The thermostat/s are a very simple change over to do with the power switched OFF of course.

Selgas Services Ltd
                  Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This