uneven flow

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing uneven flow

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I recently replaced cold water kitchen tap valve and washer. I have tried many different valves on this tap, from very expensive to cheap brands to eliminate the problem. The problem is when I turn the tap on the flow gradually lessens – I turn it on a bit more, and again it slowly lessens. If when the tap is on, I turn it slightly more water flows a lot faster – then turning it a little more, water will run really slow..
        Before I replaced the valve the flow was exact and pecise, but the tap dripped when turned off, which I found to be a broken valve. I have also reseated the tap.
        Can anyone help with this really uneven water flow ?
        Also a tap that is hard to turn does this mean the spindle needs lubrication?

Participant

It sounds like the washer is swelling uyp and cutting down the water,try a hard washer. Yes lube that stem with Plumbers grease.

Art retired plbg

Participant

Thanks for your reply Art.
            I lubricated the spindles on my shower taps and has made a huge difference. As for the valves on kitchen tap, I have tried every different type from hard to soft to the special water hammer types, but it made no difference to the flow problem. I assume my only option is to replace the spindle itself, as there are very few components to a tap.
            Thanks again

jan

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
            Participant

Jan2006.Did you lubricate with Hydroseal or Vinoleo if you have used any other product you may not have use a foodsafe product & your “O” rings may have a reduced life.
              You would be better off replacing your taps with 3/4turn C/D Ram tapware & this gets rid of the valves.
              Did you reseat the taps before replacing the valves???

Regards Bob

Participant

Bob,
                Yes I did reseat. And will look into the tapwear you have suggested.
                I just used vaseline to lubricate. I looked on a few internet sites and they gave “name” products to lub with but also said that vaseline would be ok also.
                Thanks for you info

jan

Participant

YOU MAY HAVE BRASS FILINGS IN THE FILTER ON THE END OF THE OUTLET OVER THE SINK. IF YOU RESEATED THE TAPS AND LEFT THE FILINGS IN THE TAP HOUSING THEY MAY HAVE BEEN WASHED UP TO THE FILTER AND BE BLOCKING THE FLOW. JUST A SUGGESTION.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This