mixing valve hot water loss

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing mixing valve hot water loss

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

hi folks,
        my girfriend just bought a new house with all new plumbing fixtures, and has a delta monitor 1300/1400 series single handle mixing valve faucet. when the faucet is turned on it initally has good hot water, but within seconds it becomes cool. i have adjusted the rotational limit stop, replaced the valve and checked the hot flow with the valve removed. i thought that it may be due to a major difference in the water pressure between the hot and cold lines, and have the cold valve turned nearly off to reduce the pressure, all to no avail. the hot water comes from the oil furnace, but there are no problems with any of the sinks running out of hot, all of which are standard, seperate hot and cold valves. any suggestions?
        thanks,
        kevin

Participant

Sounds like the balancing spool is clogged/hanging up in the pressure balancing cartridge. Most times this is the case if no other hots in the home are replicating the same situation.

Here is a picture of the cartridge inside of the faucet:

If you go to Delta’s website, http://www.deltafaucet.com you can obtain information to get that defective part replaced at no cost.

Contact Delta at 1-800-345-DELTA

You need Delta part R19804 cartridge.

*** You must be extremely careful when removing the bonnet nut from housing of valve body. It takes two wrenches, one for the bonnet nut and one to hold the body. If you do not hold the body of valve while loosening the nut, you could possibly break the 3 copper tubes that are connecting the valve body to the water lines. They are not visible from the front of valve. Use penetrating oil on the bonnet nut beforehand to help aid in removal.***

DUNBAR

Website Moderator

» This message has been edited by DUNBAR on 08 March 2006

Participant

thanks dunbar, but i already replaced the entire valve. are you saying that some of these come new with a defective part in the cartridge?
            kevin

Participant

That would be highly unusual for that to of happened.

Take the cartridge out, shake it. You should be able to hear that spindle move back and forth so that it can moderate pressure properly. Dirt/debri can jam these up quickly though.

Do you know what your static water pressure is? If it is extremely high, this can also affect how these devices work.

Everything is engineered for 60 pounds, anything over 80 usually requires protection.

DUNBAR

Website Moderator

» This message has been edited by DUNBAR on 08 March 2006

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This