polyethylene pipes

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing polyethylene pipes

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Please help put my mind at ease – if you can.

We are in contract negotiation over a home and @ inspec. (our paid) the inspec. said the whole home was plumbed w/polybutylene(PB) – which was not disclosed on the sellers disclosure.

Upset, we called and the seller had the builder came out and brought a plumber and stipulated that the main was not “blue pipe” and that the interior was plumbed in polyethylene(PE), not PB.

My inspector said he would go and gather info from the pipe itself and research it, but he felt 99% sure it was PB. He was a builder for 15 yrs. w/Traton Homes, then a private contracter, now inspector.

Inspector said he’d get back to me tomor. w/final report.

Otherwise we love the home – but the piping he showed me under the sink looks like the pic’s of PB I’ve seen on the web – gray color w/copper fittings.

Any and all help would greatly be appreciated.

The home was built in 1996.

What is the rap on residential PE plumbing – if it indeed is that product? 3 hours on the web has netted almost zero help.

The builder stipulated that the plumbing (PE) has a 25 yr. warranty – does that mean it has to be replaced before the end of the warranty so that if I bought that house I could sleep @ night?

I’m sort of freakin’ out here in Georgia.

Thks. in advance for any and all replies.

Participant

Find the ASTM number, Polybutylene is ASTM D3309, Pex pipe is ASTM F876; ASTM F877 all approved piping must be marked or embossed, look close.

Participant

In reply to message posted by billbob:
            Please help put my mind at ease – if you can.

We are in contract negotiation over a home and @ inspec. (our paid) the inspec. said the whole home was plumbed w/polybutylene(PB) – which was not disclosed on the sellers disclosure.

Check out the polybutylene links at http://lila.godel.com/html/info-res.htm.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This