Bathtub Overflow Drain / Shower Handles

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Bathtub Overflow Drain / Shower Handles

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

The overflow drain cover in my bathtub just fell off the other day, upon further inspection, the screws were still in. The metal part it screwed into just rusted out and broke. My question to you is, is this something I can replace myself? Or would replacing it involve taking the whole drain array apart at the back of the tub?

Also I have to almost break my faucet handles on my bathtub by turning them so far so they wont leak. Is there an easy way to remedy this? Like taking the handles off and replacing a gasket or something?

Thanks.

Participant

I think you can get a replace ment for the overflow, check it out at box stores, the valve over tub needs new washers installed, take it apart and fix, turn off water first. let me know.

Art retired plbg

Participant

Thanks I got the handles taken apart!

About the overflow cover. If I go get a new one, how do I screw it in since that part rusted out on the tub side? Should I drill new holes? Or does something more involved need to happen?

Participant

Check it out but I think they have a kit that you can you to attach a new one let me know.

Art retired plbg

Participant

As RP says, they sell bathtub drain and overflow kits (they include the overflow plate, control rod and plunger/stopper, a tee’d drain arm and strainer flange, and the required gaskets). They are of standard sizes but in most cases since tubs can vary a bit you may need to cut some of the pipes to fit your tub. They also vary a bit in material quality and workmanship. I always use those made with heavy brass, and they cost only a bit more. Here’s the critical part: ypu have to be able to get behind the tub to fit them in. It’s easy if there’s access from below in the basement or via an access panel (check on the wall in the next room or closet). If not, you may have to break into the wall behind the tub and patch it afterward).

NtP

Participant

I had the same problem, which I’ve fixed but what concerns me is that went I took off the old overflow drain cover there was this black gunk(slimey)on the back of the cover and surrounding the opening. Also the pipe had a green tint to it. Only in this one bathroom there’s this green discoloration that is really hard to clean off the tub & sink. Should I be concerned about the black gunk and the green tint?

Participant

The black gunt probabyly was the washer are some mastic, the green was probably comming from the brass overflow, do worry about it.

Art retired plbg

Participant

I’m sorry. could you repeat that about the black stuff(The black gunt probabyly was the washer are some mastic)? I don’t understand the sentence.
                      Brass Overflow? The over flow I had was silver. Is there something else in the wall I need to change?

Participant

i believe your face plate was chrome, he’s refering to the assembly behind the tub that the faceplate attaches to…also you may be abel to get the old screws out(sounds like you can’t?) by putting wd40 or something like it on the screws. then all you would need is the faceplate and the assembly behind it(if any).they usually come with the screwes…also put some plumers grease on the threads to help removing it in the future…good luck you should get a new gasket for behind the faceplate while your at it…

» This message has been edited by plumerdan on 17 March 2006

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This