Is it possible to re-gasket a 6 section Weil McClain steam boiler?

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Is it possible to re-gasket a 6 section Weil McClain steam boiler?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

My 20 year old Weil McClain developed for some reason a rusted out threaded rod on the top right of the unit and started leaking water. I replaced the rod with one from the hardware store and the leak stopped. However, when my 47-2 boiler feed low water cut off accidentally let the water rise above it’s normal level, a tiny amount started leaking from the top of the boiler where the rod is. With the water at the right level, it seems okay.
        I’m going to retighten the rod, but I got to thinking. Is there such a thing as replacing the gaskets for the 6 sections rather than installing a whole new furnace if it comes to that. The reason I ask is I got a 9000 estimate, the code requires a “can” air vent at great expense, etc. The old burner and controls are all good
        Or is the labor and age just not worth it. I’d rather fix it up if I could do it myself or have it done. I replaced the 47-2 so I’m not afraid of tackling it. Looks like everything just unbolts and comes apart.
        Regards, Ron

Participant

When it comes to boilers the work is heavy and hard, seems like they made a boiler cement that worked good on things like that, go to a Plumbing supplyhouse are a boiler shop and see if they have some, i will try to look some up. Let me know.

Art retired plbg

Participant

http://www.herchem.com/products/heatingproducts.html
            Try this site says it will fix your leak. Let me know.

Art retired plbg

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This