Basic Pipe Sweating

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Basic Pipe Sweating

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I am an amatuer looking for some “how to” information re. sweating copper fittings. I have a buddy that is attempting to sweat two threaded copper fittings for his wet bar. I have done this a number of times, but I am having a difficult time explaining to him over the phone what he needs to do (i.e. turn off the water, cut off the caps, sand the male and female ends, flux the fittings, etc.). I was hoping that someone might have or know of a place that I can find this type of information. Pictures would be a welcomed bonus.

Participant

I have a web site shows you real plain but cant get it to this site, send me your e-mail add. and I will send it to you, make subject how to solder copper.
          [email protected]

Art retired plbg

Participant

http://www.easy2.com/tutorials/diy0249/index.asp
            I have a better one then this.
            Go to http://www.google.com and put in search How to solder copper pipe and they have loads of them

Art retired plbg

Participant

Hey Art

I got a question for ya – how come u folks in the great U S of A still use Soldered joints given the risk of lead poisoning from soldering materials as well as the added problem of flux caused pitting in copper pipes used on cold water lines. This is not a slanging match I am seriously interested in why soldering is still allowed there.
              We use silfoss and kinda braze the joints down here – soldering is NOT an option due to the lead poisoning risk.
              Interested in your reply please, and for that matter anyone else from the US of A using soldered joints.

Selgas Services Ltd
              Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

We use lead free solder now, and sometimes silfuss, but that is expensive and they dont use it that much. I wiped lead,used 50/50 solder up till the 60 and never had any trouble are heard of anybody getting sick from the copper joints, i agree some parts of coutry do have trouble with copper and solder so they use PVC, It might be the future water pipe, who knows.

Art retired plbg

Participant

They come out with a new methow of putting copper pipe together using a machine thats squezzed the fitting on the pipe, Rigrid has the machine and they say it is good for tie ins on water copper water pipe.

Participant

Art

Cheers for your response I now understand your position better.

Selgas Services Ltd
                    Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This