Help, my new bathtub is creaking and cracking!

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Help, my new bathtub is creaking and cracking!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

We had our bathroom remodeled in April of this year. A Sterling Acclaim 71091110-0 was installed by our contractor. Right after it was installed, we informed him that it was making loud popping noises when you stepped in it. Our contractor said it would go away. Well, it didn’t and now it creeks loudly when you are in it as well. Just recently I noticed it is cracking on the inside edges. We called our contractor several times about this and he just called back tonight and said we used the wrong cleaner on it and that what is causing it to crack. We have only cleaned it once using a household brand you would normally use to clean a tub. Would cleaning the tub once with the wrong cleaner cause it to crack? Also how does that explain the loud creeking noises? I would appreciate any input anyone has on this.

Participant

Your contractor is full of it. Using a certain type of cleaning product isnt going to cause the tub to crack. Unless, that is, you used something like sulphuric acid. Most likely what has happened is the tub was installed on an uneven subfloor and then nailed in. I’ve installed quite a few of these particular tubs and I always set them in a bed of WET mortar or sand mix. Once the mix sets up there is no issue with creaking, moaning or cracking. Your contractor is blowing smoke up your tail.

Participant

Call your Local Plumbing inspecter are BB, are Union Hall and tell them, sounds like you got a falty job, was he a Lic. Plumber are just a handyman. Let me know what the outcome is.

Art retired plbg

Participant

He is a licsensed contractor and is the one that set the tub. I am sure he told me on one occasion that the he didn’t put mortar or anything else under the tub and that it is free floating. I forgot to clarify that the cracks in the tub are surface cracks (so far). He said he talked to a rep from the tub co. and they said it could be caused from cleaners like CLR or Tilex. He also said they want to talk to me directly. He told me to tell them that we never used anything other than shower b gone and or soap and water. We didn’t get permits as he talked us out of it, but I would pay the fine if it was about the same amount as the permit would have cost in the first place. It was a large scale remodel though and I am fearful about bringing in an inspector and having to rip up floor or who knows what if they want to see other things.

Participant

Well the first problem was that a plumber didnt set the tub. The creaking and groaning is because the contractor (licensed or not…he ISNT a plumber) didnt install the tub correctly. The surface cracking, well perhaps the cleaners could have caused it, but I still have a VERY hard time believing that.

Participant

Thanks to all for your input. We do believe that it was installed incorectly and will do what we can to get the contractor to get it right.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This