Seweage Smell in House

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Seweage Smell in House

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Doug Lucas

We get an inconsistent sewage smell in our hosue from time to time. The smell seems to be confined to the corner of the basement near the washer and dryer, and the bathroom directly above that area.

The smell comes and goes and varies in duration. It does not seem to be originating from the floor drain in the basement and it does not seem to be tied to when it rains/doesn’t rain.

Plumber was out on Sunday and couldn’t locate the problem. Wants to begin tearing into walls or send a camera down the pipe to the tune of $450.

Any alternatives to search for this problem? Suggestions? Have another plumber come out?

Thanks!

Retired plbg1
      Participant

Does it smell when washer is in use. It could be that the washer syphons the floor drain are the trap on washer is syphoned. Next time you run washer take a light and look in floor drain and see if water disapears from trap when water is pumped out, also couls have a cracked pipe,usually the smell goes up so I would think its comming from floor drain, cover up floor drain with something and see if you smell anything. Let me know.

Art retired plbg

crocks
      Participant

We’ve tried covering the floor drain in the past which made no difference. Also, water doesn’t appear to be “disappearing” when the washer is in use. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Retired plbg1
      Participant

What kind of hookup you have on wash machine, does it have a trap. You could have a cracked pipe are a bad joint, what kind of pipe is it, cast iron lead joints, are nohub, PVC clay are gal. are copper. You could do a smoke test on pipe first. There must be something between coc. Fl. and joist that is bad Let me know.

Art retired plbg

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This