electrolysis solution

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing electrolysis solution

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I have been told to drive an 8 foot brass rod in the ground and attach a #6 wire to it and to my copper water line on the inbound leg. This is supposed to work on the same logic as the slave node in a hot water heater..Anybody heard of or used this in the past with success?

Participant

I havent, maybe some of the other guys have, what kind of problem you having.

Art retired plbg

Participant

I think you are referring to a sacrifical anode that is fitted in your water heater which protects a vitreous enamelled steel cylinder against rust and corrosion. Over time is disolves away and needs replacing usually every 5 years. Each anode manufactured has a different coloured paint colour on the top of the screw in nut that retains it in the cylinder – the colours depict the resistance value or rate of dissapation they will operated under.
            As for fitting a brass rod into the ground and connecting a wire to it then attaching the end of the wire to the metal water pipes is concerned – all you will achieve doing this is to provide a path to earth for any electrical current that may be passing through the metal pipes which would make for a good earth peg for your electrical circuits. It will not (unless you have some strange soil makeup) provide protection from electrosis or protect the cylinder as does a sacrifical anode made of a magnesium composite material. Hope all of this helps.

Selgas Services Ltd
            Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

James,

I think you were referring to my response to your earlier post about the electrical potential you measured on your water lines. I was concerned because there should be zero potential between these lines and ground when your water pipes are properly grounded. Apparently your line was not grounded, or parts of it were not (e.g. because of some dielectric type plumbing connection in the lines). It is important when using such dielectric connections that a bonding wire be jumped across all dielectric unions to maintain continuity to ground on all of the metallic pipe in the system.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This