Pressure test

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Pressure test

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I purchased a building / vacant for 5 years / cold climate / pipes were drained
        I want to perform a pressure test prior to closing on the property. All 1/2 “and 3/4” copper -soldered fittings

Question 1 – What PSI should I compress to ?

Question 2 – I’ve been involved in performing this type of test many years ago, but it was on new construction
        and all pipes were capped. — Are standard angle stop valves rated for the PSI I will need to perform the test?

Participant

Normally when testing waterlines, I pump the system up to 100psi and let it sit for 30 minutes. In an existing structure that already has angle stops installed, I get 3/8″ compression caps and cap off the outlet side of the anglestops then pump the system up to 80psi for 30 minutes. Since normal operating pressure is somewhere between 50-75 psi, 80psi would be a sufficient test. Good luck.

» This message has been edited by CincinnatiPlumbing on 25 February 2005

Participant

That pressure is OK but get some Liq. soap and water and soap the valves to make sure they are not leaking and anything else.

Art retired plbg

Participant

A very good point to make Art

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This