Replacing main

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Replacing main

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I want to replace my main in my house.It’s the old black cast iron and I want to use pvc.A few questions ahead of time.My toilet sits on top of the main and runs straight down about 6ft to the drain under the basement floor.A hub sits about a foot above the floor and is in good shape. I want to move the toilet over 1 inch or 2.If I do this will I have the flexability to line up and match the pvc from the toilet into the rubber coupling.Is it best to use the rubber coupling and connect the new pvc to the old cast iron or break out the old cast iron and run the main{new pvc} into the old cast iron hub.I’m not sure how hard this is to do or how to cut or break the old pipe.I have done a lot ov pvc plumbing and my dad says that we can do this. I would appreciate any help/details you could give me.Thanksrt.

Participant

First of all it sounds like you have no vent on the toilet, be sure to vent the plbg. when you change over to PVC. Send me drawing of your fix layout and if it is 1 story or 2 story, if your toilet is sitting right on pipe and no other pipes running off then you are not vented. [email protected]
          Take a sawsall and get blade that cuts castiron and it will cut easy 12″ blade, and use a nohub band to reconnect. Like I say main thing is vent.

Art retired plbg

Participant

Got your message but att. would not open up, dont know why, try again.

Art retired plbg

Participant

I got a little farther and it ask what program to open it up let me know what program.

Art retired plbg

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This