Low hot water pressure

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Low hot water pressure

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Several months ago, my hot water pressure dropped noticeably, all over the house. The cold water pressure is fine. I disconnected a water softener (inserted into the plumbing before going to the hot water heater) after I first moved in several years ago. My hot water heater is a Rheems and was installed in 1996. I was wondering if removal of the water softener may have caused more buildup of material in the pipes (especially the hot water ones) and thus causing my problem. I don’t think I should need a new water heater yet (but may be wrong). Unless I hear any other suggestions, I’m going to remove two large (4 ft.) portions of horizontal 3/4 inch copper pipe coming from the main and running to the defunct water softener in a horizontal loop and re-connecting just before the hot water heater intake, and inspecting for any crud in the pipes while I’m at it. Other thoughts are draining the hot water heater, and inspecting the pipes on the out-take side for crud build-up. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It’s not so bad that I can’t live with it, but I’m afraid it will just get worse. Taking a hot bath takes forever to fill to fill the tub! Thanks.

Dan Kulp

Participant

Take CW line apart from WH and see if you have plenty water in line, if so then youe WH might be full of sediment, if WH is el. take out bottom element and see, if it is full take piece water hose and tape to wet vac hose and suck it out, drain WH and turn off EL. first.

Art retired plbg

Participant

Thanks, I’ll give it a shot. (Gas WH, a little more complicated).

Participant

If you have a mains pressure gas cylinder AND you live in an area where the water is “hard” that is has calcium deposits in it the problem you describe can be attributed to a blocked cold water inlet connection and in fact can also happen if the hot water outlet connection has a build up of lime in it.

Selgas Services Ltd
              Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

If you take CW stop loose at heater and find out you dont have much water then trace back on CW pipe and see if you open the valves all the way. I you do have plenty of CW at WH when you diconect the pipe then you will have to trace back on HW line and see if valves are all open and also take stems out at fixture stops and see how much water you have there, you will need someone to turn water on and off to check volume. Let me know.

Art retired plbg

Participant

I forgot we use to turn off water and take lav. faucet stem out and pour what they called newcoil down pipe and let sit for awhile and it would clean out lime deposits in gal. pipe, you have to have an openning in basement so you can drain out later and flush, think about that, you can get it at Plumbing supply house.

Art retired plbg

Participant

Thanks for all these suggestions!! I intend to try several of them this weekend. I’ll post my results. Thanks again!

Dan Kulp

Participant

Yahoo. Sweet success. It was indeed crud build-up right at the hot water heater out-take. It almost looked like iron deposits. Anyway, after chipping it all away and welding that pipe back into the system, the hot water pressure is nice and high again. Thanks to all of you who gave me such good suggestions!!

Dan Kulp

Participant

on reading this entry by dan i noticed simlilarities to a problem i have although in my case the hw pressure coming from the tank flows through my kitchen on into the bathroom. the hot water in the bathroom is fine and dandy but the hw pressure in the kitchen tap is very low.i have replaced all pipes/fittings and even new taps but cannot rectify this problem. any advice on this would be much appreciated.

darren

Participant

Darren did you take areater off of faucet, if you still low on HW take it loose At stop and run in bucket and see if you have lots of water if you dont have much water then it is a stoppage in wall.

Art retired plbg

Participant

Dan

Nice to hear you had success and I am sure I speak for everyone in this forum – we offer advice based sometimes on very little information being provided in the hope we can assist.
                            So very few people take the trouble to reply when they do have success – it is great to get feedback – thank you once again for taking the trouble to post feedback.

Selgas Services Ltd
                            Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This