Removing shower diverter knob

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Removing shower diverter knob

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

My shower diverter quit working this morning. (I gave it the tiniest bit of additional torque this morning and now it is diverting only a trickle.) It is the middle knob variety and is probably a Stirling. The diverter assembly hasn’t been touched since I bought the house in 1989.

The screw came out just fine, but the knob, which should slide off, won’t budge. A friend suggested that corrosion is holding it on and that a few whacks with a hammer will loosen it up. Before I make matters worse, any ideas?

Participant

You can buy a puller from Plumbing supplyhouse are box store. Its like a puller you use on car but it is small.

Art retired plbg

Participant

Sometimes, like Art said, you need a puller. You don’t want to exert any undue force on the valve body and stem cavities by hammering or yanking on them too much. The puller usually has a pin that slides into the stem tip and a clamp and pulls the stem out safely and quickly as you screw it. They only cost at most about 10 bucks at most Ace Hardware’s, Lowe’s etc.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This