Kitchenaid dishwasher problem — won’t run

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Kitchenaid dishwasher problem — won’t run

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I just installed a Kitchenaid dishwasher KDS-18 in my kitchen. I got it from a friend who was doing a complete kitchen remodel. He had had no problems with the appliance. It sat for 2 weeks before I installed it. It ran for one cycle, but did not fully drain. When I tried to run it again I got no startup, as if I have no power. There is power to the unit, and I cannot find any reset button. If anyone has any suggestions, it would certainly be appreciated. Thank you.

Participant

You got it free so spend the money and have a service man come over, its probaly a stuck selinoid valve.

Participant

I don’t normally fix major plumbing appliances (clothes and dishwashers and dryers), for three reasons: 1) it’s not worth my time; 2) I’m not an expert in that area (as RP says, that’s what the Maytag man is for); and 3) unless you are talking about a really expensive appliance out of warrantee, the cost of a service call would make buying a new appliance a reasonable option. That being said, I have a cheap streak in me when it comes to my own home maintenance expenses, and I have over the years repaired my own clothes and dishwashers and those of neighbors and relatives.

If you have the time and the inclination, you can do what I did, which is to go to your local appliance jobber and get a good book on the principles of appliance repair along with repair manuals for the particular appliance you want to fix. I was amazed to find out how simple these modern marvels really are. If you have a logical mind, basic electrical knowlede, and a good supply of basic tools and electrical test equipment, you should be able to fix the appliance. In my experience the main things that go wrong are faulty electrical switches (including solenoids) and sensors, clogged or broken pumps, motor belts, motor transmissions, blower fans, and timer switches. When you find the broken part you sometimes can repair it yourself, but often you need to go back to your jobber to purchase a replacement.

This can be a lot of fun if you enjoy the challenge and have plenty of time to treat it as a hobby. And please be careful.

Otherwise, call the Maytag man. He’s always complaining about how bored he is.

NtP

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This