hot water tank life expectancy

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing hot water tank life expectancy

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I just moved into a house with an oil-fired hot water tank that is 11 years old.

I know from a recent oil service inspection that there is some sediment and rust in the tank, although I don’t see any in the water coming out of the taps

Do you recommend replacing a hot water heater at a certain number of years old automatically, to prevent a situation where the tank rusts through and floods my basement, or do you feel that one should wait until there is a definite problem (small leak, discolored water) until replacing? If you would say automatically replace, at how many years old would you just replace a tank?

Just wanted an opinion from someone who wasn’t trying to directly sell me a new tank…

Thanks!

Participant

With my tongue in my cheek I would suggest that an annual flushing down of the cylinder would assist in increasing it’s operational life, however one would not expect a cylinder these days to survive much past the 12 to 15 year period of use.
          Hope this assists you in making your choice.

Selgas Services Ltd
          Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

I agree with Selgas. About 10 to 15 years is all that you can reasonably expect a water heater to last.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This