Slab Leak.

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Slab Leak.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I have had 6 slab leaks and now have another one. House is 35 years old. Leak has been in area from center of house to kitchen. (about 40′) Would like to replace with new line going through attic. I live in Dallas Tx. it does freeze some times through winter. What type of line do you think would work best? ( Copper, Galvanised pipe, Cross linked polyethylene?) What are your thoughts of insulating line then running through bigger pipe like 4″ to keep if ever any type of leakage contained to just 2 areas. Concerned with not clamping down line. Don’t know about codes. I do know i will have tear out walls but need to do something different. Just wanted some Ideas before calling local plumber to fix. Thanks: KJ

Participant

I would run overhead with copper and insulate it very well and not put anything back in the slab except where it has to.

This will eliminate the majority of opening up floor to make the repairs.

“Your best interest is secured by making the right decisions the first time.”

Participant

[…and not put anything back in the slab except where it has to. This will eliminate the majority of opening up floor to make the repairs.

I agree with Dunbar’s solution. I just would like to take this opportunity to add my comment that I hate the idea of burying plumbing under slabs. I know it’s approved and everyone does it, and I’ve done it (because that’s what the builders want), and the inspectors sign off on it.

But when there’s a leak, and there WILL be leaks, you’ll wish that the pipes were more accessible. There are ways to keep pipes out of slabs, but they are harder and more costly to install.

As with my opinions about garbage disposals (which I think shoud be banned), I know I’m spitting against the wind.

NtP

NtP

Participant

Get some local advice about copper vs. pex. The WIRSBO brand of pex actually has a sleeved system available where the PEX is completely contained within an outer sleeve to contain any possible leak. Check out their website.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This