Old Standard Faucet Pains

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Old Standard Faucet Pains

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I have what I think is an old compression-type faucet.It’s a Standard brand, wide-set, two-handle faucet that probably dates back to when the house was built – 1959- and I’ve run out of luck with it. I can’t get it to stop leaking and I can’t find the parts for it. The washers seat but the faucet still drips. (It also leaks at the top but I think that needs a washer in the top packing nut.) I’ve seen parts in a Danco catalog that resemble portions of the assembly, but I can’t tell the sizes/proportions from the pictures or find the parts themselves. I’ve tried every Mickey Mouse fix I can think of with no luck. Tomorrow, my last ditch effort will be to switch the faucets, since they’re interchangeable and it’s the hot side that leaks.

Plus, the faucet’s in a tile sink and the stems appear to be firmlycemented into the tile so replacing it looks to be a major problem requiring the ripping out and replacing of the sink top. (Just the thought makes me weary.)

Any suggestions? Is there a magical land where they sell new parts for old (but not fashionably old) plumbing? Or shall I just bite the bullet and try and tear the sucker out of the tile?

Any input appreciated. TIA.

Suzabella

» This message has been edited by Suzabella on 02 June 2004

Participant

If you are using a flat washer ,try a beveled one,or vise versa.Make sure the seat is not chipedor gouged in any way.If seats are removal,replace them,if not you might have to dress them with a seat grinder. Change both hot and cold sides.The leak at the packing nut can be fixed with string packing or a new packing gland.Might be best to call a plumber ,you could make things worse and then it could cost you more in the long run.Just my two cents worth.

Participant

It looks like your faucet should be replaced considering the age and it looks.

The grout around the stem looks worse then it is to remove and install a new faucet, use a screw driver to dig and chip away at it.

Participant

In reply to message posted by PLUMBILL:

The grout around the stem looks worse then it is to remove and install a new faucet, use a screw driver to dig and chip away at it.

Thanks for responding so quickly. Knowing that the grout can be easily removed is a help, although that’s just one part of what makes the task daunting. All the underside (which is all brass!) will have to be replaced too – from the water supply valve on up. And what are the chances I won’t be able to loosen some of those stuck-in-place-since-1959 nuts?

Well, at least now I know the grout won’t hold me back (much). Thanks.

Suzabella

Participant

In reply to message posted by racefanone:
                If you are using a flat washer ,try a beveled one,or vise versa.Make sure the seat is not chipedor gouged in any way.If seats are removal,replace them,if not you might have to dress them with a seat grinder. Change both hot and cold sides.The leak at the packing nut can be fixed with string packing or a new packing gland.Might be best to call a plumber ,you could make things worse and then it could cost you more in the long run.Just my two cents worth.

Thanks for the speedy response, but I’m pretty sure my washers and seats are good – unless you’re talking about the way the bottom part of the removeable seat (shown at the bottom of the first image) fits down into the pipe. Is that what you mean?

Thanks.

Suzabella

P.S. If it was possible for me to call a plumber, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Participant

Sorry ,but I don’t see an image.Excuse me for suggesting you call a plumber. I was just suggesting what I have learned in 37 years of being a plumber.Just because the faucet is old does not mean it can’t be fixed.It’s your call.

Participant

In reply to message posted by racefanone:
                    Sorry ,but I don’t see an image.Excuse me for suggesting you call a plumber. I was just suggesting what I have learned in 37 years of being a plumber.Just because the faucet is old does not mean it can’t be fixed.It’s your call.

I appreciate the advice and I’m sure you’re 100% right. I’m a far cry from having given up on the old stuff and a plumber could be a tremendous help but this is as close to one as I’m able to get just now. If you click these words you’ll see pictures of the plumbing I’m talking about.

Let me know if you get any further inspiration from the images and thanks again.

Suzabella

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This