Help! Leaking copper pipe join in laundry

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Help! Leaking copper pipe join in laundry

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Hi,
        just wondering if i could get some advice on a small plumbing problem ive got in the laundry.
        Last night i found a small puddle in the laundry and removed some of the plaster to find that one of the copper joins for the water tap (used for the washing mashine) was leaking water. Im guessing its not that bad and should be a pretty simple fix. Its dripping about once every 30 seconds so its not like water is really running out of there but nevertheless still enought o do damage.
        Could anyone please advise me on how i could fix this leak and the best way to go about it.

Cheers,
        Ruben

Participant

You will have to cut that bad joint out and replace it with a new fitting.

Solenoid valves slamming shut on the washing machine create a hard shock to the water piping system, and improper support of piping will cause this and/or poorly soldered joint to begin with.

“Your best interest is secured by making the right decisions the first time.”

Participant

Thanks Dunbar,
            Do i just use a hacksaw to remove the old joint?
            I just popped into Bunnings and saw that they have a short brass middle pipe and two fittings on both ends that just screw in. Is this something similar that i would need and it all pretty much screws together or is soldering still needed?
            Thanks a lot for your help.

Ruben

Participant

If you are using a compression joint, It must be accessible. I guess you can make a removable panel if need be where the joint is.

I would never recommend hacksawing; using a mini tubing cutter will give a clean cut and allow the ease of putting the pipe back together.

Soldering a new joint makes the problem a situation that disappears for good. A compression joint has the capability of pulling apart and/or leaking.

Participant

Thanks again,
                the leak in the wall is in a section that i was planning on tiling so its not an area that i will have access to in the future so i’ll make sure i solder the joint. Would it be advisable to just re-solder the existing joint or is the problem likely to arise again using that method.
                Thanks for your advice, youve been very helpful.
                Ruben

Participant

I would replace the joint completely because the existing joint is now dirty where it has leaked, and the chances of getting a clean soldered joint that will not leak in the future, is slim.

You will need a couple fittings and a small piece of pipe to make this repair.

Check your water pressure, high pressure can be affecting this situation.

Participant

Mate,

Your local plumber should charge between $70 -$80 to weld it up and you know its done correctly

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed Plumber and Drainer with my own business in Brisbane Australia.

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
                    Participant

Ruben. It is an offence to carry out regulated work in Australia.
                      The leak you are referring to is behind a plastered wall, call a Licensed plumber. He will explore to find the leak & repair as necessary, when he sends th bill ask him to separate the bill into exploration & repair.
                      You should then claim against your insurance & any reinstatement & exploration should be covered.
                      Doing t yourself leaves you open to penalties & no insurance cover.
                      Bob

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This