Kentucky Journeyman Plumber Test

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Kentucky Journeyman Plumber Test

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Okay. . The written part of the test was pretty easy. .When the practical part came along, the lead joint and copper offset project were easy as far as the joints/leaks/etc. . BUT, I totally got my copper project completely messed up, all because I didn’t know how to calculate the lengths of my pipe I cut. The offset was made, well of course by elbows, 45 degree elbows in this particular one. My Kentucky State Plumbing Code book says “To find the length of a 45-degree offset, multiply the distance between the 2 parallel lines by the constant 1.414.” This just really boggled me and if anyone knows how to calculate this or knows what I’m talking about, PLEASE post with a good explanation and I will dance at your wedding.

Participant

I took the Ky Journeyman’s about 8 years ago and I couldn’t believe how many failed the pratical.

There are 3 different tests, both on the written, and the pratical. So don’t expect if you failed one side of the test, that the same copper jig will be there when you return.

On the jig, they sometimes give you the overall dimension, sometimes from end to center. What you need to do is take your time, and assemble the jig partially with your known dimensions.

If they give you a dimension from the center of one 45 to say one end or the other, you will need to know the length of the pipe that goes down to the next fitting.

It is always easier to show than explain, but the trial and error idea was the best way.

The jigs are slightly loose where you have to put the piping into.

[img]http://[/img]

“Your best interest is secured by making the right decisions the first time.”

Participant

Thanks Dunbar

On this jig I had, they give me the overall dimension and the length from the middle of one 45 to the male adapter.
            I’m still confused on it some, but if you could submit a really detailed drawing on this post, I would certainly appreciate it alot. I have to go back May 15th and take it again and I really need to have this down.

Thanks again

Participant

This is really just a matter of geometry (trigonometry). If you have a 45 degree isosoceles triangle, the “offset” between the two parallel pipe runs is “x.” You have an isoceleles right triangle with two sides equal to “x” and the calculated run of pipe is the hypoteneuse, “h.” By the Pythagorean theorem, h squared equals squared plus squared (=2x squared). Therefore h=x times the square root of 2. The square root of two = 1.412136 (more or less). That’s how you get the answer. Hope this helps….

NtP

Participant

Thanks Nick for your reply. I got a C in geometry in high school and I don’t remember much of that stuff. . been a few years ago heh. I’m beginning to think now that my jig on the layout (piece of paper they give me to go by) was missing a figure (measurement) because DUNBAR says that one of the pieces of pipe going from one of the 45’s to the 90 was GIVEN. . well on mine it wasn’t. . I had the overall length, 23 1/4″, and the length from the male adapter to a 45, THAT WAS IT.

Participant

The Pythagorean Theorem is a mathematical relation attributed to the ancient Greek mathematician Pythagoras of Samos (569 BC-475 BC). Algebraically it is stated as a2 + b2 = c2. Geometrically it is stated as the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

I learned of the Pythagorean Theorem in high school 45 years ago, and the algebra teacher at Woodstock Academy taught it in a very effective way. He used humor in his lesson plan and everyone who heard the story remembers the theorem to this day.

Mr. Wilde related the following story:

A Native American chief has three wives, and all three were pregnant at the same time, and lived in separate teepees. The squaw in the first teepee lies on an antelope hide. The squaw in the second teepee lies on a buffalo hide, and the squaw in the third teepee lies on a hippopotamus hide. The squaw on the antelope hide had a baby boy. The squaw on the buffalo hide had a baby girl, and the squaw on the hippopotamus hide delivered twins, a baby boy and a baby girl.

This proves that the squaw on the hippopotamus is equal to the sum of the squaws on the other two hides.

Participant

As I explained before in my first posting, you will be subjected to a different test each time you test out, same goes for the written also.

So on your next copper jig, you might have exactly what I described as a possible set of dimensions. The idea they are getting across is for you to understand the process of determining lengths when all the dimensions are not given. So, the next time you take the test, you will have to be prepared to know your cross-cut dimensions of the fittings you bring, along with knowing the math to determine lengths to equal out to the rest of the dimensions you need to perform the task. I think they still allow you to bring a calculator, no?

“Your best interest is secured by making the right decisions the first time.”

Participant

45 offset is easy. If your center to center is 6″ you take 6″ 141.6 = 849.6 that is your piece of pipe less the centers of 2- 45s. You can buy a 45 rule which gives you all the measuements.

Art retired plbg

Participant

141 6″ = 8.46 Thats all. If you want a drawing of 45 Offset let me know send your e-mail add.
                        [email protected]

Art retired plbg

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This