flushometer mystery

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing flushometer mystery

• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 20 years ago by Avatar phototurdchaser.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I was in a restroom the other day and I noticed something rather mysterious about a flushometer. It was a flushometer to a toilet… and it had a regular hookup from the wall to the flushometer and then down to the toilet itself. But in the length of pipe between the flushometer and the toilet there was a small connection — a ridgid 1/4 inch pipe leading from the wall that Tee’d into this vertical pipe an inch or so above the toilet. I have absolutely no idea what this small pipe is for… I’m very curious. Can someone inform me? Thanks!

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
        Participant

Paul, I dont know from where you come, but it could be a charge pipe for a floor waste?
          Bob

Participant

Robert,

I saw this toilet while I was traveling just outside of Los Angeles. What is a ‘charge pipe for floor waste’? Thanks!

Paul

Participant

Could also have been a connection to a pan fan – a type of extractor fan that is connected to the flush pipe and sucks the smells from under the pan ring when the flush pipe is not being used to flush water.
              This is now becomming a more popular venting system to eliminate the “smells” associated with enclosed toilet systems.
              Hope this helps.

Selgas Services Ltd
              Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

Paul,Yersmay? In Oz we must have a floor waste adjacent to a urinal. If the floor waste cannot be charged with a waste fixture i.e a basin, then the floor waste must be charged by another means – say a hose tap with a shroud to stop people drinking from it, situated near the floor waste, or a charge pipe from a flushing device such as a cistern flush pipe.
                The charge pipe simply discharges over the water seal of the floor waste so as to keep the water seal intact.
                However the pipe you are talking about may also be a dlivery pipe from a sanitizer “to keep the loo smelling nice”
                Was in LA once. Did’nt like it! When we travelled out to Barstow the people were human again.
                America is a great place, If I was’nt Australian I would probably like to be an American, But never a New Yawker like some of the blokes on the alternative Forum

Participant

Thats a santizer supply like they put on urinals, but the detergent is behind wsall. That charge pipe is what we call a trap primer that is installed in a cold water supply to a fix. When fix. is used a certain amount of water is released to keep trap sweal full.

Art retired plbg

Participant

defiantly a trap primer, it keeps water in the trap so you can’t smell the sewer.

Participant

Thank you all for your interesting replies. I’ve learned a lot. The more I learn about plumbing, the more I appreciate what a complicated trade it can be. Something tells me the pipe I saw delivers a sanitizing agent to the bowl. It was a restroom in a gas station/food market and it’s logical that a sanitizer would be utilized. It’s a bit of a mystery how this sanitizing agent was routed… where its resevoir would be and what pressurizes it… but I’ll bet that’s what it was. Not to beat a dead horse regarding the charge pipe… but if any of you have the energy, I’m curious about this. Why would a jet flush toilet need a charge pipe? Wouldn’t it’s own flushometer make sure the bowl had a water seal? Why would this need to be augmented by a charge pipe? Also, what meters out the amount of a water that a charge pipe delivers? Thanks again!

Participant

Yersmay. You sound as though you have missunderstood, a charge pipe is a small diameter pipe that runs from the flush pipe to over the water seal of a floor waste, if it (the floor waste) has no means of being charged by any other fixture.
                        Bob

Participant

To further what Bob said, the floor drain in the restroom would never get any water down it and the water in the trap would eventually evaporate out leaving a open pipe with no seal between the sewer and the occupied space. In your own thought you even question how you would get a sanitizer into the pipe knowing that it would have to overcome the pressure in the pipe. When you flush the toilet the water pressure pushes water out that pipe allowing the inlet side of the trap for the floor drain to be charged thru a pipe that is in the wall and continues under the floor to where it terminates just above the trap seal. If it was sanitzer they would have to somehow synchronize the flush valve with a pressure pump that would buildup more pressure then the water supply, this in turn would allow the sanitizer to go back thru the water supply system while the valve was open flushing, since the sanitizer pressure would be greater then main pressure. No such connection would ever be permitted.

» This message has been edited by turdchaser on 16 April 2004

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This