Name that Dip Tube…

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Name that Dip Tube…

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

http://img23.photobucket.com/albums/v70/DUNBAR/DIP_TUBES.jpg

Here is the problem. All three of those dip tubes came out of 50 gallon tall water heaters.

One of those is half the size of another.

Tell me why on earth would you put a dip tube in a water heater that is only half way into the tank?

I have a customer dealing with a new water heater that has one of those 3 dip tubes in it, and I am not getting paid for the trip.

I do have additional work to do at the home, but that is besides the point. If I didn’t have to come back, I would be eating my time on this one.

I cannot see how there is any gain in having a dip tube mixing cold water with ready to use hot water. That is robbing the gallons of hot water that can be used in consistency.

Any science to this? All 3 heaters are tall, all three have regular burners. Nothing special.

“Your best interest is secured by making the right decisions the first time.”

Participant

If the water heater meets required operation specifications it does not matter about the size and length of the dip tube. The smaller longer one could be a self cleaning one that shoots the water (sturinng up the water more) in faster just like you put your thumb over a garden hose.

Or, I’ll bet some bean counter found away of saving ten cents per water heater, cut there and there while still meeting water heater spec’s saves a alot after making thousands of water heaters. I have seen some only go 1/2 way into the tank, I was taught to keep them 6″ off bottom of tank.

Good Luck
          PLUMBILL

» This message has been edited by PLUMBILL on 12 March 2004

Participant

First one is a State water heater. That is a Rotoswirl Dip Tube.

The second one is a Home Depot Replacement Dip Tube.

The Third one is a Rheem GE Home Depot brand water heater dip tube.

What happened was the nipple or the connection in the top of the tank is either sloppy, or whoever from the factory, overtightened the nipple, thus pushing the dip tube past the rim in the fitting that holds the dip tube. All there is is a rubber washer that holds it in place, along with a very small flanged edge that can easily be popped down inside the tank.

What I ended up doing was using a State Brand Dip Tube on the GE water heater, due to customer preference. I strongly agreed with the decision since it was designed much better than the clear dip tube that only goes a little more than halfway down the tank.

When I called Tech Support, the guy tried to push it off on me for installer error. I could of reached through the phone on that statement alone.

I explained that I used Female Dielectric unions on the nipples already installed in the tank from the factory. I also explained that the nipples did not turn while cranking the dielectrics down tight.

When I removed that cold side nipple, it took all of my might, and the nipple was buried flush with the threads on the nipple, and once partiallly loosened, the connection between the two was loose and sloppy.

When I reinstalled the nipple, the used numerous wraps of teflon along with Megaloc thread sealant, and still, remained very loose between the two until 2/3rds the way in.

I believe the nipple ultimately being screwed in forced the dip tube out past the flange.

Something that the plumbers should check out next time you install a GE branded water heater, and the reason for the short dip tube, I have no idea why.

“Your best interest is secured by making the right decisions the first time.”

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This