banging pipe coming from sump pump

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing banging pipe coming from sump pump

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

My house is a little over 5 years old, and this has been going ever since I’ve moved here. When it rains/snows alot, my pipe that leads from the sump pump to the outside drainage bangs and knocks very loudly. The source of the knocking starts after the valve that is installed a couple of feet above my sump pump. What could this be? Also, my basement has flooded twice during melting snow conditions (the power did not go off), could this have something to do with it? It’s never flooded during even the heaviest rain storms. Thanks for your reply.

Participant

Without seeing it, sounds like you have a metal check valve and the flapper makes a noise when the pump turns on. Is it Horizontal are vertical. I think they make check valves for sumps that are quiet, check it out.

Art retired plbg

Participant

it’s a vertical switch. Does that mean its starting to go bad, or is just the nature of that particular one?

Participant

The check valve should be inspected to see if the disc inside has come loose. This would explain why the pump did not work properly and you flooded. As for the noise there could be several factors effecting it. There are several things to look for. Make sure the pipe is braced properly and does not shake and wobble around freely. There should be a weep hole drilled in the side of the pipe just above the pump. The weep hole allows the section of pipe between the pump and the check valve to drain. By doing so the pump can get up to speedbefore hitting head pressure. The pump could also be oversized for the application. The pump maybe designed to pump against a higher head pressure amount then what you have. If this is the case it will just be noisier then apump with a lower flow rating. I hope this helps.

Participant

thanks for the replies

The pipe is braced very well to the basement wall, so it doesn’t move at all, but you can feel the vibration inside as it starts knocking.

I have a plumber coming today to take a look at it. I’ll reply back what the outcome is.

Thanks again!

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
                Participant

Sounds silly, but is the check valve installed correctly?
                  Bob

Participant

I’m gunna stick me neck out here and say the problem is a loose or faulty check valve (non return valve) – this would certainly explain why the system did not work properly and the area got flooded a while ago.
                    Replace or repair the check valve flapper device and the problem should be fixed!!!!!!

Selgas Services Ltd
                    Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

Hello all.

The problem was that the float was bad on the sump pump, and my sump pump was contiously running. The plumber told me that since the pump is continuously running that air was getting into the pipes and causing all the vibration/noise. (The noise occurs when I hear water flowing and it increasingly got louder as less water was going through, with the most banging occuring after there was not water left in the hole).

This is pretty much been doing this for 5 years, with the loud banging noise, so he suggested that I replace the pump, since it has been continuously running for this long of a time, and that’s not good on a motor. He said he didn’t want to just replace the float on a questionable pump. he went ahead and replaced the check valve as well.

As for the flooding…….my builder had told me to take the relief cap on my sump line discharge after there has been freezing conditions and thawing starts to occur in case there is a backup/freezing in the storm drain. Both times the flooding has occurred, it was right after snow, and I didnt’ have the cap off (it is now!). It has never flooded during very heavy rainstorms.

Hopefully you guys can tell me I didn’t get screwed here….paid $362 for the repair but the noise is completely gone.

Participant

Great to hear you got it worked out and the price does sound very reasonable

Participant

Nice to hear you have had the problem resolved – you will appreciate the difficulty we have in answering questions in this medium when we are not aware of all of the facts – ie the motor running continually on your pump. Now you have the problem repaired you will also save significant $$$$ on your electric bill as the new pump will only operate when it has to instead of running all the time.
                          As for the repair price I beleive it is reasonable and not excessive.

Selgas Services Ltd
                          Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

thanks! I didn’t realize that the pump was continuously running. This is the first time I’ve had a basement and since its been doing it from the beginning I guess I just got accustomed to it. It’s MUCH better now, and I feel better that you experts out there are reassuring me that I didnt’ get jipped!

Participant

Might want to invest in a backup sump pump.

http://www.basementwatchdog.com

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This