Desperate for help!

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Desperate for help!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      MasterPlumbers
      Keymaster

We have had a problem… I went to take a shower today and I had good pressure for the first 1-2 minutes. As I got into the shower, i started to lose pressure. After about 3-4 minutes, I lost water all together. We thought our pipes had frozen, because they did a couple of days ago. We turned on all of the faucets in the house and after about 2 minutes, we had water again, and normal pressure after about 3 minutes. Any ideas? Could it be our holding tank or water pump? Or is it possible we were froze?? no idea – any suggestions helpful.

DUNBAR
      Participant

Sounds like a certain area of your piping system is trying to freeze.

Find out the location and get a light bulb in the area or some type of heat to rectify the situation.

Ice can form quickly, and hot water can freeze quicker than cold water.

turdchaser
      Participant

Mr. Dunbar you have intrigued my curiosity, is there truth to the statement that hot water can freeze quicker than cold water and if so please explain.

DUNBAR
      Participant

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/hot_water.html

That explains it………big theory….but its true.

» This message has been edited by DUNBAR on 12 January 2004

Selgas
      Participant

Ya thought about installing heat tracer wires along the route of your exposed cold water pipes and those hot water pipes a ways from the hot water tank???
      This system will apply a small amount of heat to the surface of the pipework and prevent or minimise the risk of freezing water pipes at locations where they could burst and do the most damage.
      The tracer wire is usually connected through a thermostat so that it will only activate when the temperature drops below a preset temperature and then likewise turns itself off when the pipework goes above the maximum set temperature.

Selgas Services Ltd
      Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Harold Kestenholz
      Participant

That freezing efect and other reasons for it is fun theory. They all depend upon:
      1. A comparison of water that has had the air boiled out to water with air still in it. Hot water pipes carry de-gassed water. Cold water pipe mains flow more water more often to fill basins and toilets, so tend toward less feezing.
      2. The teenage student Mpemba sat the water on the porch to watch. the cups were sitting on frost, so the frost melted around the cup and gave better contact with the cold porch. Hope your pipes aren’t sitting in frost.
      3. The third effect of convection doesn’t work well, because when the hot water actually gets to the same tmperature the cold started at, the convection rate becomes tha same as when the other water was cold.

But it is fun.

turdchaser
      Participant

I was lucky enough to study nuclear science on Uncle Sam’s dime in the Navy before getting into plumbing. One of the areas of study was thermal dynamics. I can assure myself at least, that all factors being equal the water at the lower temp. will freeze quicker, the basic synopsis being, less heat to transfer to get there. Now on to plumbing, we have just went thru very cold weather for our area and more frozen pipes than a man could handle. Sure enough I unthawed and repaired more hot water lines than cold. However my theory was that people are willing to let the cold water trickle overnight but left the hot water lines stagnant with no flow in them. Just a thought?

DUNBAR
      Participant

I agree with that possibility very much so. This subject was poised in another corner of the web, and the the same response was brought up.

Good perspective. Something the topic of this thread readily deserved.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This