Use of jointing compound/PTFE tape?

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Use of jointing compound/PTFE tape?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

What does the professional plumber use to guarantee a leak-free joint when making connections (brass compression) to a hot water cylinder (copper), please?

Participant

There is no leak free joints, if comp. is installed right then you should not have any trouble, also years of exprience.

Participant

Normally compression type joints do not need any materials to seal them if they are done poperly.
            Check with your local Plumbers on how they do the joints in England where you are – every Country has different ideas and systems – they do not always follow the same.

Selgas Services Ltd
            Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

Peter is absolutely correct when he says that compression fittings (and this applies to flare fittings and machined unions as well) do not require any sort of pipe “dope.” These fittings depend upon clean and well-formed mating surfaces only. The only plumbing fittings that would benefit from pipe “dope” or Teflon tape are threaded fittings. As regards these threaded fittings, I use both Rectorseal #5 and good (mil-spec) Teflon tape with very good results.

In the “old days” some plumbers (like my grandfather and they guy I apprenticed with) used worked “plumber’s thread” and pipe dope into the male threads of the pipe joint, but no one does that anymore. I still have a couple of rolls of this special thread I inherited over 25 years ago, but I’ve never used it.

NtP

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
              Participant

Nick & pete, can you remember Lithards & how to make it. I have still got 12/2 a roll of Hemp.

Bob

Participant

Bob

Heck no I don’t remember that at all – how old do ya think I am lol.

I am not owning up to anything that suggests I may be getting older hahahahaha

Selgas Services Ltd
                  Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This